AIDSinfo and infoSIDA Redesigned
[Editor's Note: This is a reprint of an announcement published on the NLM Web site on November 29, 2011. To be notified of announcements like this subscribe to NLM-Announces e-mail list.]
Sites Offer Federally Approved Information on HIV Treatment and Research
To mark World AIDS Day 2011 (December 1), a redesigned AIDSinfo Web site has been released, along with the Spanish-language infoSIDA. These sister sites offer federally approved information on HIV treatment and research to health care providers, researchers, people affected by HIV/AIDS, and the public. Resources include medical practice guidelines, treatment and prevention research studies, educational materials for consumers, and information on approved and investigational HIV/AIDS-related drugs.
Information is available in both English and Spanish. AIDSinfo and infoSIDA are services of the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), managed by the National Library of Medicine® (NLM®). NLM is the world's largest medical library and a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Redesign of the sites was based on research on user needs and behaviors and focused on reorganization of content and improved navigation to make information easier to find.
Changes to the sites include:
- Reorganizing content logically into six main categories, including new categories for Education Materials and Mobile Resources and Tools.
- Creating a home page design that gives users a snapshot of the entire Web site, direct access to all site content, and the ability to search for information without having to click away from the home page.
- Improving navigation to reduce the number of clicks necessary to access information anywhere on the sites.
- Providing links to resources such as mobile applications and social media tools (including Facebook and Twitter) throughout the sites to make them accessible from any page.
- Creating a distinct Web address for infoSIDA-http://infoSIDA.nih.gov to make it easier for users to bookmark and for search engines to index infoSIDA.
AIDSinfo and infoSIDA Redesigned. NLM Tech Bull. 2011 Nov-Dec;(383):e9.