History of Medicine
Are NLM historical collections online?
The full texts of NLM historical material are not online; however, selected material from historical collections can be viewed in Online Exhibitions, Related NLM Web Sites, and digitized books, manuscripts, and pictures. For a complete list of digitized historical material, see Digital Collections.
NLM Historical material can be searched in a variety of online resources listed below.
Library Catalogs: NLM Catalog & LocatorPlus
NLM Catalog: start here to find books, journals, and audiovisuals.
LocatorPlus: for holdings, item availability, MARC 21, and more.
For help with searching LocatorPlus, see FAQ NLM LocatorPlus.
History of Medicine Images now searchable via Quick Limit Option in LocatorPlus.
To find journal articles in the history of medicine, click Limits on the PubMed homepage and select Subset History of Medicine. For information about PubMed, see FAQ MEDLINE/PubMed and Other Databases.
IndexCat, the online version of the Index-Catalogue of the Library of the Surgeon-General's Office, U.S. Army (61 volumes in 5 series, 1880-1961), is a comprehensive subject catalog of books, pamphlets, dissertations, reports, and journal articles published from the 17th-20th century and held by NLM. Researchers will find material in IndexCat that is not in the Library catalog (LocatorPlus).
- Exhibition Programs
- Animals as Cold Warriors: Missiles, Medicine, and Man's Best Friend
- Chinese Public Health Posters
- Classics of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Directory of History of Medicine Collections
- Early Western Manuscripts (13th-17th century)
- From 'Monsters' to Modern Medical Miracles: Selected moments in the history of conjoined twins from medieval to modern times
- Greek Medicine from the Gods to Galen
- A Guide to Collections Relating to the History of Artificial Organs (Project Bionics)
- Guide to Tropical Disease Motion Pictures and Audiovisuals
- Historical Anatomies on the Web
- The Horse: A Mirror of Man: Paralells in Early Human and Horse Medicine eb
- Islamic Culture and the Medical Arts
- Islamic Medical Manuscripts (11th-19th century)
- Medieval Manuscripts in the NLM
- Midwifery, Nursing, and Obstetrics Manuscript Collections at NLM
- Profiles in Science
- A Shelflist of Islamic Medical Manuscripts at the NLM (pdf)
- Tropical Medicine Manuscript Collections in the History of Medicine Division