National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
HSR General Resources
- Data, Tools and Statistics
- HSR Social Media Resources
- Education and Training
- Grants, Funding and Fellowships
- Guidelines, Journals Other Publications
- Key Organizations
- Meetings and Conferences
- State Resources
- Aging Population Issues
- Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER)
- Child Health Services Research
- Dissemination and Implementation Science
- Evidence-Based Practice and Health Technology Assessment
- Health Care Reform, Health Economics, and Health Policy
- Health Disparities
- Health Informatics
- Privacy/Security and Research with Electronic Health Records New
- Public Health Services and Systems Research
- Rural Health
Grants, Funding and Fellowships
Links to fellowships, grants, and other funding opportunities.
- Bridging the Gap Between Cancer Mechanism and Population Science (U01) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This Funding Opportunity Announcement encourages applications for projects that bridge biological mechanism to population level scales. It should explore links between basic biology, population science, and potential health applications in treatment, prevention, diagnosis, and/or screening related to a cancer research question.
- Core Centers for Musculoskeletal Biology and Medicine (P30) - (National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMSD) US) - This grant would support Research Core Centers in musculoskeletal biology and medicine, providing shared facilities and services to groups of established, currently funded investigators in this area.
- AHA-NPSF Comprehensive Patient Safety Leadership Fellowship - (American Hospital Association (AHA), National Patient Safety Foundation (NPSF) US) - The Fellowship consists of four in-person learning sessions, periodic teleconferences, various self and organizational assessments and individual coaching. The year long program culminates with the completion of an Action Learning Project (ALP) demonstrating the Fellow's ability to apply the concepts learned.
- AHRQ's Career Development and Postdoctoral Training Awards for Comparative Effectiveness Research - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - AHRQ will support two types of institutional research training and career development grants in FY 2010. These projects will focus on preparing new investigators to conduct comparative effectiveness research.
- American College of Radiology Fellowship in Health Services Research - (American College of Radiology (ACR) US) - This fellowship was established to expose residents to the ACR's efforts in the areas of socioeconomic and health services research. The fellowship will allow residents extensive opportunity for hands-on research on critical issues such as practice patterns, self-referral, productivity, utilization, and cost-comparison studies.
- Applied Research Fellowships & Collaborative Research - (National Cancer Institute, NIH (NCI)) - Lists some of the mechanisms by which NCI has brought students and scientists in to work with them, including NIH research and training opportunities, the Division of Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program, and NIH Guest Researcher/Special Volunteer Programs.
- Clinical/Research Electives Program: Health Services Research - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This elective is intended for students who are interested in population-level health services research and disability-related public health issues. Previous coursework in research methods is helpful, but not required. Selection is based upon evidence of motivation to explore a breadth of topics included in health services research and appreciate potential policy implications. Applicants must possess good standing in medical school.
- Fellowship Opportunities - (Commonwealth Fund) - Fellowship programs in health and public policy.
- Health Policy Fellowships - (Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF)) - Compilation of fellowships available to students, researchers, journalists and other professionals.
- NACCHO Career Network - (National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO)) - Interactive job board for online employment connections with a focus on local health departments and public health professions. Employers can post jobs online and search for qualified candidates. Job seekers can learn about employers and employment opportunities in public health, post resumes, browse and view available jobs.
- NLM Independent Career Development Award for Biomedical Informatics (K22) - (National Library of Medicine (NLM) U.S.) - This grant would facilitate the transition of investigators from the mentored to the independent stage of their careers.
- NRSA Primary Care Research Fellowship - (Cecil G. Sheps Center for Health Services Research) - Trains primary care physicians for academic careers with an emphasis on research.
- Post-Doctoral Training in Health Services Research - Pittsburgh, PA - (Veterans Health Administration US) - This two-year fellowship would involve engagement in scholarly projects of the fellow's own design under the guidance of senior program faculty, and participation in other projects already underway at the facility.
- Robert Wood Johnson Health Policy Fellowships - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - Opportunity for experienced health professionals and behavioral and social scientists from academic faculties and nonprofit healthcare organizations to receive a comprehensive orientation with the nation's preeminent health policy leaders followed by a full-time work assignment on Capital Hill.
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Individual Predoctoral Fellowships (F31) to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (PA-09-209) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - The purpose of this individual predoctoral research training fellowship is to provide support for promising doctoral candidates who are enrolled in combined MD-PhD programs, who will be performing dissertation research and training in scientific health-related fields.
- Translational Fellowships in Public Mental Health Services Research - (University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) USA) - The Fellowship Program is a collaboration between the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health, the UCLA Clinical and Translational Science Institute, the UCLA Center for Health Services and Society, the USC Clinical and Translational Science Institute, and the USC School of Social Work. Fellowships are for one year, renewable for a second year; Fellows will be appointed at either UCLA or USC.
- VA National Quality Scholars - (Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy & Clinical Practice US, Veterans Health Administration US) - Mission is to offer scholars opportunities to be leaders who can apply knowledge and methods of health care improvement to the care of veterans; innovate and continually improve health care; teach health professionals about health care improvement; and, perform research and develop new knowledge for the ongoing improvement of the quality and value of health care services.
- Accelerating the Pace of Drug Abuse Research Using Existing Data (R01) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This funding opportunity invites application proposing innovative analysis of existing social science, behavioral, administrative, and neuroimaging data to study the etiology and epidemiology of drug using behaviors (defined as alcohol, tobacco, prescription and other drug) and related disorders, associated HIV risk behaviors, prevention of drug use and HIV, and health service utilization.
- AHRQ Conference Grant Program (R13) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - AHRQ has announced a grant, aimed at supporting conferences focused on improving the quality, safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of health care.
- AHRQ Funding Opportunities - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - AHRQ supports a broad base of scientific research to promote improvements in clinical and health system practices, including the prevention of diseases and other health conditions.
- AHRQ Grants for Health Services Research Dissertation Program (R36) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ))
- AHRQ Health Services Research Demonstration and Dissemination Grants (R18) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - This award made to an institution/organization to support a discrete, specified health services research project.
- AHRQ Health Services Research Projects (R01) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - This award is made to an institution/organization to support a discrete, specified health services research project.
- AHRQ Individual Awards for Postdoctoral Fellows (F32) National Research Service Awards (NRSA) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ))
- AHRQ Mentored Career Enhancement Award in Patient Centered Outcomes Research (PCOR) for Mid-Career and Senior Investigators (K18) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ))
- AHRQ's Grants Online Database - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - Acess all of AHRQ's projects from this database.
- Applied Research Funding Opportunities - (National Cancer Institute, NIH (NCI)) - Lists funding opportunities within ARP that are directed towards the extramural research community focus on building capacity for cancer surveillance research to evaluate patterns and trends in cancer-related risk factors, health behaviors and health services.
- Behavioral & Integrative Treatment Development Program (R01) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This funding opportunity is available to encourage behavioral intervention development research targeting drug abuse treatment.
- Behavioral & Integrative Treatment Development Program (R03) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This funding opportunity would fund discrete, well-defined projects that can be completed within two years. Projects of interest fall within the research domain of behavioral or integrated interventions targeting substance abuse or chronic pain.
- Behavioral & Integrative Treatment Development Program (R34) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This grants would fund discrete well-defined projects that can be completed within three years. Projects of interest fall within the research domain of behavioral or integrated interventions targeting substance abuse or chronic pain.
- Bioengineering Research Grants (BRG) (R01) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This grant encourages collaborations between the life and physical sciences to: 1) apply a multidisciplinary bioengineering approach to the solution of a biomedical problem; and 2) integrate, optimize, validate, translate or otherwise accelerate the adoption of promising tools, methods and techniques for a specific research or clinical problem in basic, translational, or clinical science and practice.
- Biomedical and Behavioral Research Innovations to Ensure Equity (BRITE) in Maternal and Child Health (R15) - (Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA))
- Biomedical Technology Research Center - (National Center for Research Resources (NCRR) US) - This grant would fund Biomedical Technology Research Centers, which would conduct research and development on new technologies and new/improved instruments driven by the needs of basic, translational, and clinical researchers.
- Cancer Control & Population Sciences Funding Opportunities - (National Cancer Institute, NIH (NCI)) - Cancer control funding opportunities including research involving surveillance, epidemiology, health services, behavioral science and cancer survivorship.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) - (General Services Administration (GSA) U.S.) - Government-wide compendium of all federal programs, projects, services, and activities that provide assistance or benefits to the American public. Users can contact the office that administers a program for application instructions.
- CDC's Procurement and Grants Office - (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)) - Information on grants and business opportunities with the CDC.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Public Health Preparedness and Response Research to Aid Recovery from Hurricane Sandy - (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)) - This FOA will provide funds from the Disaster Relief Appropriations Act of 2013 to support research to aid recovery from the public health impact of Hurricane Sandy.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid (CMS) Grant Opportunities - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - This website provides access to CMS Research & Demonstration grants, for example, the Hispanic Health Services Research grant program and the Historically Black Colleges and Universities grant.
- Clinical Sites for an Undiagnosed Diseases Network (UDN) (U01) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This grant would fund the establishment of clinical sites for an Undiagnosed Diseases Network.
- Department of Veterans Affairs HSR&D Funding Opportunities - (Health Services Research and Development Service, Veterans Administration (HSR&D)) - This page provides information on Veterans Administration HSR&D funding programs and research solicitations.
- DOD Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs - (Department of Defense (DoD) U.S.) - Provides a brief description and key elements of all award mechanisms.
- DoD Peer Reviewed Medical Technology/Therapeutic Development Award - (Dept. of the Army - USAMRAA US) - The award would fund psupport for the translation of promising preclinical findings into products for clinical applications.
- Enhancing post-market surveillance through developing registries for medical device epidemiology (U01) - (Food and Drug Administration (FDA) U.S.) - This grant would support efforts to address identified gaps in the current postmarket surveillance system by developing new methodologies for registry data collection and linkage.
- Environmental Health Sciences (EHS) Core Centers (P30) - (National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (NCEH)) - This opportunity will fund Environmental Health Sciences Core Centers, providing scientific guidance, technology, and career development opportunities for investigators.
- Food Protection Task Force Improvement Project - (Food and Drug Administration (FDA) U.S.) - This funding opportunity is intended to improve the national food protection system by facilitating the development and implementation of projects within existing Food Protection Task Forces.
- Grants.gov - (Grants.gov) - Searchable information from all Federal grant-making agencies.
- Health Services and Economic Research on the Prevention and Treatment of Drug, Alcohol, and Tobacco Abuse (R01) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH))
- Health Services and Economic Research on the Prevention and Treatment of Drug, Alcohol, and Tobacco Abuse (R03) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH))
- Health Services and Economic Research on the Prevention and Treatment of Drug, Alcohol, and Tobacco Abuse (R21) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH))
- Health Services Research Demonstration and Dissemination Projects for Prevention and Management of Healthcare-Associated Infections (R18) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ))
- Health Services Research on the Prevention and Treatment of Drug and Alcohol Abuse (R01) - (Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA))
- Hispanic Health Services Research Grant Program - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - The purpose of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services' Hispanic Grant Program is to implement Hispanic American health services research activities to meet the needs of diverse CMS beneficiary populations.
- How to Apply for a HRSA Grant - (Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)) - This site is an online technical assistance resource, offering webinars, application and submission guidance, as well as tips for writing successful proposals to HRSA.
- HSR&D Funding Opportunities - (Health Services Research and Development Service, Veterans Administration (HSR&D)) - This page provides information on HSR&D funding programs and research solicitations.
- Indian Health Services (IHS) Divisions of Grants Management - (Indian Health Service (IHS)) - Grant opportunities within the IHS.
- Infrastructure Development Program in Patient-Centered Outcomes Research (PCOR) (R24) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ))
- Large Research Projects for Prevention and Management of Healthcare-Associated Infections (R01) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ))
- National Institutes of Health Grants and Funding Opportunities - Extensive information about grants, research funding, and policies. Please scroll to bottom of Grants and Funding page for specific information on NIH HSR Funding Opportunities, PAs and RFAs.
- NEI Clinical Study Planning Grant Program - (National Eye Institute, NIH) - This grant would fund the development of a Manual of Procedures, necessary for the development of large-scale clinical vision research projects.
- NIAID Clinical Trial Implementation Cooperative Agreement (U01) - (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, NIH (NIAID)) - This funding opportunity invites cooperative agreement applications for implementation of investigator-initiated, high-risk clinical trials and mechanistic studies associated with high-risk clinical trials.
- NIAID Clinical Trial Implementation Grant (R01) - (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, NIH (NIAID)) - This funding opportunity invites cooperative agreement applications for implementation of investigator-initiated, high-risk clinical trials and mechanistic studies associated with high-risk clinical trials.
- NIAID Clinical Trial Planning Grant (R34) - (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, NIH (NIAID)) - This funding opportunity would support applications that propose the planning, design, and preparation of the documentation necessary for implementation of investigator-initiated clinical trials.
- NIBIB Biomedical Technology Resource Centers (P41) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - Grants are being accepted for Biomedical Technology Resource Centers.
- NIDCD Research Core Centers (P30) - (National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) USA) - This grant will fund a Core Center, which will provide centralized resources and facilities for funded R01 research projects, and will help to integrate and promote research in existing funded projects.
- NIDCD Research On Hearing Health Care (R21/R33) - (National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, NIH (NIDCR)) - Outcomes and health services research are also responsive to this FOA, which will support research leading to more accessible and affordable hearing health care.
- NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts - Link to the NIH Guide for grants and contracts.
- NIH Office of Extramural Research - Provides links to funding opportunities as well as grant application basics.
- NIH Support for Conferences and Scientific Meetings (R13 and U13) - The NIH recognizes the value of supporting scientific meetings that are relevant to its scientific mission and to the public health. A scientific meeting is defined as a gathering, symposium, seminar, conference, workshop, or any other organized, formal meeting where persons assemble to coordinate, exchange, and disseminate information or to explore or clarify a defined subject, problem, or area of knowledge.
- NINDS Stroke Trials Network - National Clinical Coordinating Center (U01) - (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH (NINDS) U.S.) - This grant will fund a National Clinical Coordinating Center for the NINDS Stroke Trials Network.
- NLM Extramural Programs: Career Development and Training Support - (National Library of Medicine (NLM) U.S.) - Links to NLM extramural grant programs, including career development and training support.
- Pilot Health Services and Economic Research on the Treatment of Drug, Alcohol, and Tobacco Abuse (R34) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH))
- Planning Grants for Translating CKD Research into Improved Clinical Outcomes (R34) - (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK)) - This funding opportunity supports an assessment of the feasibility of testing the effectiveness of interventions for the prevention, treatment and management of chronic kidney disease.
- Program for Extramural/Intramural Alcohol Research Collaborations (U01) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This collaborative funding opportunity will bring together the research expertise that will address key alcohol-based research questions which would not otherwise be possible by the same individuals working towards similar goals in isolation.
- Secondary Analyses in Obesity, Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (R21) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH))
- Short Courses on Innovative Methodologies in the Behavioral and Social Sciences (R25) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This is an invitation for applications to develop, implement, evaluate and disseminate short courses in innovative methods for behavioral and social sciences research
- Skin Diseases Research Core Centers (P30) - (National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMSD) US) - This funding opportunity would support Research Core Centers in skin biology and diseases, which would provide shared facilities and services to groups of established, currently funded investigators in this area.
- Structural Interventions, Alcohol Use, and Risk of HIV/AIDS (R21) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This grant supports investigations into effectiveness of structural interventions aimed at reducing the risk of HIV/AIDS transmission by changing the environment of alcohol use.
- Tuberculosis Research Units - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This grant will support the establishment of several Tuberculosis Research Units that will operate as a collaborative network to study tuberculosis latency and persistence.
- Understanding Clinical Information Needs and Health Care Decision Making Processes in the Context of Health Information Technology (IT) (R01) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ))
- Understanding User Needs and Context to Inform Consumer Health Information Technology (IT) Design (R01) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ))
- Alliance for Healthcare Foundation Funding - (Alliance Healthcare Foundation US) - Alliance Healthcare Foundation's grant-making activities focus strategically on funding organizations whose programs benefit those under 250% of poverty, the uninsured and underinsured, children and the homeless.
- Commonwealth Fund Information for Grant Seekers - (Commonwealth Fund) - The Fund supports independent research on health and social issues and makes grants to improve health care practice and policy. We are dedicated to helping people become more informed about their health care and improving care for vulnerable populations such as children, the elderly, low-income families, minorities, and the uninsured.
- David and Lucile Packard Foundation - The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is a private foundation located in California that invests in and takes smart risks with innovative people and organizations to improve the lives of children, enable the creative pursuit of science, advance reproductive health, and conserve and restore earth's natural systems.
- Investigator Awards in Health Policy Research - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - Investigator Awards in Health Policy Research supports researchers whose crosscutting and innovative ideas promise to contribute meaningfully to improving health and health care policy. The program provides one of the few funding opportunities in the United States for investigator-initiated projects that are broad in scope, innovative in approach, and have national policy relevance.
- Pew Charitable Trusts Program Investments - Pew invests in programmatic work to solve today's most challenging problems including improving policy, informing the public and stimulating civic life.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Grants - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation provides grants for projects that advance their mission to improve the health and health care of all Americans.
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation Grantseeking Information - Health programming focuses explicitly on improving individual and community health, and improving access to and the quality of health care.
- William B. Graham Prize for Health Services Research - (Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA), Baxter International Foundation US) - The Baxter International Foundation has created The William B. Graham Prize for Health Services Research. The $50,000 annual award will be administered by The Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) and given to a researcher who has made contributions to improving the health of the public worldwide. Specifically, the award will recognize health services research that has a lasting impact on the healthcare system and the way healthcare is delivered.
- William T. Grant Foundation - supports work to improve the settings of youth ages 8 to 25 in the United States. It funds research, and service improvements that emphasize understanding and improving youth's everyday settings such as families, peer groups, schools, youth-serving organizations, and neighborhoods.
- California Endowment Grant Application Guide - The California Endowment makes grants to organizations and institutions that directly benefit the health and well-being of Californians. Support is provided to nonprofit organizations with a valid tax exemption status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and that are classified as a public charity and not as a "private foundation" under Section 509(a). If a proposal is from an unincorporated collaboration or community project, tax exemption verification and a letter of agreement signed by a lead applicant agency that is eligible for funding are required.
- California HealthCare Foundation Grants and RFPs - (California HealthCare Foundation (CHCF)) - This resource is designed to assist applicants and grantees by providing guidelines, answers to frequently asked questions, and related forms.
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Funding Overview - CIHR provides funding opportunities for four themes of health research including health systems services, social, cultural, environmental and population health.
- Colorado Trust - The Trust issues requests for proposals (RFP) and welcomes responses from nonprofit organizations and governmental entities across Colorado.
- Funding Opportunities - (National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI))
- Health Workforce Information Center Funding - (Health Workforce Information Center (HWIC) US) - High level Web site collects listings from government and private organizations.
- New York State Department of Health Grants and Funding Opportunities - (New York State Department of Health) - listing of opportunities offered by the Department
- United Hospital Fund Grants Center - The Fund supports the development of model projects, sponsors research to analyze systemic problems, and fosters innovative solutions. Beneficiaries of the Fund's grants include not-for-profit and public hospitals, nursing homes, and health care, academic, and public interest organizations.
National Cancer Institute, NIH (NCI)
- Exploratory/Developmental Grants Program for Basic Cancer Research in Cancer Health Disparities (R21)
National Collaborative on Childhood Obesity Research (NCCOR)
- NCCOR Funding Opportunities - NIH, CDC and RWJF are collaborating on an initiative to reduce youth obesity. The funding opportunities are listed on this Web page.
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, NIH (NICHD)
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, NIH (NIDCR)
- NIDCR Small Research Grants for Oral Health Data Analysis and Statistical Methodology Development (R03)
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS)
National Institute of Mental Health, NIH (NIMH)
National Institute of Nursing Research, NIH (NINR)
National Institute on Aging (NIA)
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Extramural Loan Repayment Program for Health Disparities Research (LRP-HDR): Program Specific Information
- Limited Competition: Institutional Development Award (IDeA) Program Infrastructure for Clinical and Translational Research [IDeA-CTR][U54]
- NIH grant funding opportunities supported by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA)
National Library of Medicine (NLM) U.S.
Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research, NIH (OBSSR)
- Association for Healthcare Philanthropy - Dedicated exclusively to advancing and promoting the health care development profession. Provides fundraising education and information.
- Finding Funders - (The Foundation Center) - Provides grantseekers with several ways to find funders.
- Foundation Center - (Foundation Center) - The Center provides information for grantseekers, grantmakers, researchers, policymakers, the media, and the general public.
- Grantmakers in Health - Nonprofit, educational organization dedicated to helping foundations and corporate giving programs improve the health of all people. Its mission is to foster communication and collaboration among grantmakers and others, and to help strengthen the grantmaking community's knowledge, skills, and effectiveness.