Your peritoneum is the tissue that lines your abdominal wall and covers most of the organs in your abdomen. A liquid, peritoneal fluid, lubricates the surface of this tissue.
Disorders of the peritoneum are not common. They include
- Peritonitis - an inflammation of the peritoneum
- Complications from peritoneal dialysis
Your doctor may use imaging tests or lab tests to analyze the peritoneal fluid to diagnose the problem. Treatment of peritoneal disorders depends on the cause.
- Peritonitis (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Ascites: A Common Problem in People with Cirrhosis (American College of Gastroenterology)
- Familial Mediterranean Fever (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Peritoneal Dialysis (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Peritoneal Ports (Radiological Society of North America) Available in Spanish
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Clinical history of patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis exluded from cytoreductive...
- Article: Nomograms for predicting the prognosis of stage IV colorectal cancer...
- Article: Diagnostic value of carcinoembryonic antigen in malignancy-related ascites: systematic review...
- Peritoneal Disorders -- see more articles
- Abdominal tap Available in Spanish
- Peritoneal fluid analysis Available in Spanish
- Peritoneal fluid culture Available in Spanish
- Peritonitis Available in Spanish
- Peritonitis - secondary Available in Spanish
- Peritonitis - spontaneous Available in Spanish
- Retroperitoneal inflammation Available in Spanish