Multimedia & Tools
- No links available
The urethra is the tube that allows urine to pass out of the body. In men, it's a long tube that runs through the penis. It also carries semen in men. In women, it's short and is just above the vagina. Urethral problems may happen due to aging, illness, or injury. They include
- Urethral stricture - a narrowing of the opening of the urethra
- Urethritis - inflammation of the urethra, sometimes caused by infection
Urethral problems may cause pain or difficulty passing urine. You may also have bleeding or discharge from the urethra.
Doctors diagnose urethral problems using different tests. These include urine tests, x-rays and an examination of the urethra with a scope called a cystoscope. Treatment depends on the cause of the problem. It may include medicines and, in severe cases, surgery.
- Bladder Control Problems: Managing with Products and Devices (Urology Care Foundation)
- Urinary Catheterization (InteliHealth, Harvard Medical School)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Urethral Diseases (National Institutes of Health)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Intermittent self-dilatation for urethral stricture disease in males.
- Article: Congenital posterior urethroperineal fistula: a review and report of the...
- Article: Chronic urinary obstruction: evaluation of dynamic contrast-enhanced MR urography for...
- Urethral Disorders -- see more articles
- Directory of Kidney and Urologic Diseases Organizations (National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse) - PDF
- Find a Urologist (Urology Care Foundation)
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)
- Benign (Not Cancerous) Urethral Lesions in Children -- Boys (Urology Care Foundation)
- Benign (Not Cancerous) Urethral Lesions in Children -- Girls (Urology Care Foundation)
- Blocked Urethral Valves (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Pediatric Voiding Cystourethrogram (Radiological Society of North America, American College of Radiology) - PDF Available in Spanish
- Urine Blockage in Newborns (National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse)
- Chlamydial urethritis - male Available in Spanish
- Epispadias Available in Spanish
- Indwelling catheter care Available in Spanish
- Meatal stenosis Available in Spanish
- Self catheterization - female Available in Spanish
- Self catheterization - male Available in Spanish
- Traumatic injury of the bladder and urethra Available in Spanish
- Urethral discharge culture Available in Spanish
- Urethral stricture Available in Spanish
- Urethritis Available in Spanish
- Urinary catheters Available in Spanish
- Urinary Retention (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)