Candida is the scientific name for yeast. It is a fungus that lives almost everywhere, including in your body. Usually, your immune system keeps yeast under control. If you are sick or taking antibiotics, it can multiply and cause an infection.
Yeast infections affect different parts of the body in different ways:
- Thrush is a yeast infection that causes white patches in your mouth
- Candida esophagitis is thrush that spreads to your esophagus, the tube that takes food from your mouth to your stomach. It can make it hard or painful to swallow.
- Women can get vaginal yeast infections, causing itchiness, pain and discharge
- Yeast infections of the skin cause itching and rashes
- Yeast infections in your bloodstream can be life-threatening
Antifungal medicines get rid of yeast infections in most people. If you have a weak immune system, treatment might be more difficult.
- Diagnosis and Testing of Oral Candidiasis (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Treatment and Outcomes of Genital / Vulvovaginal Candidiasis (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Treatment and Outcomes of Oral Candidiasis (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Candida Infection of the Bloodstream - Candidemia (American Thoracic Society) - PDF
- Invasive Candidiasis (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Oral Thrush (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Oropharyngeal/Esophageal Candidiasis ("Thrush") (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Tinea Versicolor (American Academy of Dermatology)
- Vaginal Yeast Infections (Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women's Health) Available in Spanish
- Vaginitis (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases)
Pictures & Photographs
- Thrush (Oral Candidiasis) in Adults (Logical Images)
Health Check Tools
- Vaginal Discharge (DSHI Systems)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Fungal endocarditis after hybrid periventricular closure of muscular ventricular septal...
- Article: Parasites and fungi as a threat for prenatal and postnatal...
- Article: Local administration of amphotericin B and percutaneous endoscopic necrosectomy for...
- Yeast Infections -- see more articles
- Male Yeast Infection: Can I Get It from My Girlfriend? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)