An abortion is a procedure to end a pregnancy. It uses medicine or surgery to remove the embryo or fetus and placenta from the uterus. The procedure is done by a licensed health care professional.
The decision to end a pregnancy is very personal. If you are thinking of having an abortion, most healthcare providers advise counseling.
Treatments and Therapies
- Cat's Claw (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
- Abortion, Miscarriage, and Breast Cancer Risk (National Cancer Institute)
- Abortions: Does It Affect Subsequent Pregnancies? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Pregnancy Choices: Raising the Baby, Adoption, and Abortion (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) - PDF Available in Spanish
- What to Do When Your Pregnancy Is Unexpected (American Academy of Family Physicians) Available in Spanish
Statistics and Research
- Abortion in the U.S.: Utilization, Financing, and Access (Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation) - PDF