Behcet's syndrome is a disease that involves vasculitis, which is inflammation of the blood vessels. It causes problems in many parts of the body. The most common symptoms are
- Sores in the mouth
- Sores on the sex organs
- Other skin sores
- Swelling of parts of the eye
- Pain, swelling and stiffness of the joints
More serious problems can include meningitis, blood clots, inflammation of the digestive system and blindness.
Doctors aren't sure what causes Behcet's. It is rare in the United States, but is common in the Middle East and Asia. It mainly affects people in their 20s and 30s. Diagnosing Behcet's can take a long time, because symptoms may come and go, and it may take months or even years to have all of the symptoms. There is no cure. Treatment focuses on reducing pain and preventing serious problems. Most people can control symptoms with treatment.
NIH: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
- Behcet's Disease (Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center)
- Behcet's Disease (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Behcet's Disease (National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases)
- Behcet's Disease (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke) - Short Summary
- Dilating Eye Drops (American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus) Available in Spanish
- Facts about Behçet's Disease of the Eye (National Eye Institute)
- Genetic Mystery of Behcet's Disease Unfolds Along the Ancient Silk Road (National Human Genome Research Institute)
- Genetics Home Reference: Behçet disease (National Library of Medicine)
- Methotrexate (Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center)
- Prednisone (Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center)
- Uveitis Available in Spanish
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Behcet Syndrome (National Institutes of Health)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Neutrophil Activation Promotes Fibrinogen Oxidation and Thrombus Formation in Behçet...
- Article: Clinical and Ultrasonographic Evaluation of Lower-extremity Vein Thrombosis in Behcet...
- Article: Putative Role of Serum Amyloid-A and Proinflammatory Cytokines as Biomarkers...
- Behcet's Syndrome -- see more articles