MedlinePlus contains both copyrighted and non-copyrighted material. Restrictions may apply when linking to copyrighted materials. For information on linking to MedlinePlus pages, please see our policy on linking to MedlinePlus.
Works produced by the federal government are not copyrighted under U.S. law. If content is not copyrighted, you may reproduce and redistribute the content. MedlinePlus information that is not copyrighted includes:
- The summaries on the Health Topics pages
- The article text in NIH MedlinePlus the Magazine and NIH MedlinePlus Salud
- The FAQs (https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/faq/faq.html)
- The same content on MedlinePlus en español (http://medlineplus.gov/spanish/)
Works produced by organizations other than the federal government may be protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. You can sometimes tell if something is copyrighted if it has the copyright symbol, the name of the copyright holder, and the statement "All rights reserved."
However, a copyright notice is not required by law and therefore not all copyrighted material is necessarily marked in this way.
The MedlinePlus RSS feeds are for personal use only. They may contain licensed content and, therefore, NLM cannot grant you permission to use the MedlinePlus RSS feeds on your web site or information services.
Content on MedlinePlus that is copyrighted includes:
- The A.D.A.M. Medical Encyclopedia (https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/encyclopedia.html)
- Drug information from the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html)
- Herbal medicine and supplement information from Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Consumer Version (https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/herb_All.html)
- News stories from HealthDay (https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/healthnews.html)
- The Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary (https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/mplusdictionary.html)
- Surgery videos from ORLive (https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/surgeryvideos.html)
- Illustrations, logos, and photos
If content is copyrighted, transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use (PDF) as defined in the copyright laws may require the written permission of the copyright owners. MedlinePlus cannot grant this permission. Contact information for copyright holders of licensed content on MedlinePlus is listed below.
A.D.A.M., Inc.: http://www.adam.com/contact.html
Drug and Supplement Information
American Society of Health-System Pharmacists: firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Consumer: https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/about-us/contact-us.aspx
Images on Health Topic pages attributed to A.D.A.M.: http://www.adamimages.com/
Images on Health Topic pages attributed to government agencies: consult the agency specified for the original image.
Images on Health Topic pages with no attribution: these are stock images licensed expressly for MedlinePlus, you may not reproduce or redistribute these images.
Images in NIH MedlinePlus the Magazine and NIH MedlinePlus Salud: Vitality Communications, http://kramesstaywell.com/contact-us/
Because MedlinePlus includes copyrighted, licensed text and images, framing is not authorized by NLM. For more information, see our framing FAQ.