You might think of farms as peaceful settings. Actually, farming is one of the most dangerous jobs in the United States. Farms have many health and safety hazards, including
- Chemicals and pesticides
- Machinery, tools and equipment that can be dangerous
- Hazardous areas, such as grain bins, silos and wells
- Livestock that can spread diseases or cause injuries
Farming injuries are very common. Physical labor and accidents can cause injuries.
Most farm accidents involve machinery. Proper machine inspection and maintenance can help prevent accidents. Using safety gloves, goggles and other protective equipment can also reduce accidents.
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Agricultural Health and Safety Frequently Asked Questions (Rural Assistance Center)
- Tox Town Farm (National Library of Medicine) Available in Spanish