Health insurance helps protect you from high medical care costs. It is a contract between you and your insurance company. You buy a plan or policy, and the company agrees to pay part of your expenses when you need medical care.
Many people in the United States get a health insurance policy through their employers. In most cases, the employer helps pay for that insurance. Insurance through employers is often with a managed care plan. These plans contract with health care providers and medical facilities to provide care for members at reduced costs. You can also purchase health insurance on your own.
- Health Insurance: Understanding What It Covers: Full List of Preventive Services (American Academy of Family Physicians) Available in Spanish
- HealthCare.gov (Department of Health and Human Services)
- How to Shop for Health Insurance (Nemours Foundation) Available in Spanish
- Top 10 Ways to Make Your Health Benefits Work for You (Department of Labor) Available in Spanish
- In Its Third Year, Obamacare Faces Growing Pains (11/02/2015, HealthDay)
- Low-Income HIV Patients May Be Doing Better on Obamacare (10/08/2015, HealthDay)
- Obamacare Likely to Spur Rise in Chronic Disease Diagnoses (09/09/2015, HealthDay)
Statistics and Research
- Five Facts about the Uninsured Population (Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation) - PDF
- Health and Access to Care among Employed and Unemployed Adults: United States, 2009-2010 (National Center for Health Statistics)
- Health Insurance Coverage: Early Release of Estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, January -- June 2013 (National Center for Health Statistics) - PDF
- Health Insurance Data (Bureau of the Census)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (National Institutes of Health)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Federal Employees Health Benefits Program: Enrollment Options Following the Termination...
- Article: Hospital Charity Care--Effects of New Community-Benefit Requirements.
- Article: Adequacy of Outpatient Specialty Care Access in Marketplace Plans Under...
- Health Insurance -- see more articles
Find an Expert
Finance and Policy
- Frequently Asked Questions about Health Reform (Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation)
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Nondiscrimination Requirements (Department of Labor)
- Health Reform Implementation Timeline (Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation)
- Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services)
- Retirement and Health Care Coverage: Questions and Answers for Dislocated Workers (Department of Labor)
- Understanding Your Medical Bills (American Academy of Family Physicians)
- Preventive Care for Children (Affordable Care Act) (Department of Health and Human Services)
- Health Insurance Basics (Nemours Foundation)
- Choosing a Medigap Policy: A Guide to Health Insurance for People with Medicare (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) - PDF