You may only think of tears as those salty drops that fall from your eyes when you cry. Actually, your tears clean your eyes every time you blink. Tears also keep your eyes moist, which is important for your vision.
Tear glands produce tears, and tear ducts carry the tears from the glands to the surface of your eye. Problems with the tear system can include too many tears, too few tears, or problems with the tear ducts. Treatment of the problem depends on the cause.
- Tear System (American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery)
Treatments and Therapies
- How to Use Eye Drops Properly (American Society of Health-System Pharmacists)
- Genetics Home Reference: Triple A syndrome (National Library of Medicine)
Health Check Tools
- Eye Tearing (DSHI Systems)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Glossary of Terms (Foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology)