Menstruation, or period, is a woman's monthly bleeding. Abnormal vaginal bleeding is different from normal menstrual periods. It could be bleeding that is between periods, lasts several weeks, or happens before puberty or after menopause. Causes can include
- Uterine fibroids or polyps
- Hormone problems
- Hormone pills, such as birth control pills and menopausal hormone therapy
- Cancer of the cervix, ovaries, uterus or vagina
- Thyroid problems
Bleeding during pregnancy can have several different causes. It is not always a serious problem, but to be safe you should always contact your healthcare provider.
Pelvic exams, blood tests and other procedures can help your healthcare provider diagnose the problem. Treatment depends on the cause.
- Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (American Academy of Family Physicians) Available in Spanish
- Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) - PDF Available in Spanish
- Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (Beyond the Basics) (UpToDate)
- Vaginal Bleeding (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Hormone Replacement Therapy: Can It Cause Vaginal Bleeding? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Bleeding during Pregnancy (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) - PDF
- Perimenopausal Bleeding and Bleeding After Menopause (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) - PDF
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Uterine Hemorrhage (National Institutes of Health)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Novasure impedance control system versus microwave endometrial ablation for the...
- Article: National Partnership for Maternal Safety: consensus bundle on obstetric hemorrhage.
- Article: Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine device use as an alternative to surgical therapy...
- Vaginal Bleeding -- see more articles
- D and C Available in Spanish
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) Available in Spanish
- Vaginal bleeding Available in Spanish
- Vaginal bleeding between periods Available in Spanish
- Vaginal bleeding in early pregnancy Available in Spanish
- Vaginal bleeding in late pregnancy Available in Spanish
- Vaginal bleeding in pregnancy Available in Spanish