See, Play and Learn
Vaginal cancer is a rare type of cancer. It is more common in women 60 and older. You are also more likely to get it if you have had a human papillomavirus (HPV) infection or if your mother took diethylstilbestrol (DES) when she was pregnant. Doctors prescribed DES in the 1950's to prevent miscarriages. You are also at higher risk if you have had abnormal cells in the vagina, cervix, or uterus.
It often doesn't have early symptoms. However, see your doctor if you notice
- Bleeding that is not your period
- A vaginal lump
- Pelvic pain
A Pap test can find abnormal cells that may be cancer. Vaginal cancer can often be cured in its early stages. Treatment might include surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy.
NIH: National Cancer Institute
- Cancer and Stress (Foundation for Women's Cancer)
Videos and Tutorials
- Surgical Tutorial of a Robotic-Assisted Anterior Pelvic Exenteration (OR-Live) - Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, 1/22/2009
Statistics and Research
- Increased Risk of Rare Cancer as DES Daughters Age (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Available in Spanish
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Vaginal Neoplasms (National Institutes of Health)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Low-grade Endometrial Stromal Sarcoma Primarily Arising in the Vagina: A...
- Article: Primary vaginal mucinous adenocarcinoma of intestinal type, associated with intestinal...
- Article: CO2 laser vaporization for the treatment of vaginal intraepithelial neoplasia:...
- Vaginal Cancer -- see more articles
- After chemotherapy - discharge Available in Spanish
- Pelvic (between the hips) radiation - discharge Available in Spanish
- Understanding Chemotherapy (National Cancer Institute) - PDF Available in Spanish
- Vaginal and Vulvar Cancer (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) - PDF Available in Spanish
- Vaginal tumors Available in Spanish
- What to Know about External Beam Radiation Therapy (National Cancer Institute) - PDF Available in Spanish