- PubMed provides access to MEDLINE®, the National Library of Medicine’s premier bibliographic database containing citations and author abstracts from more than 5,600 biomedical journals published in the United States and in other countries.
- The scope of MEDLINE includes such diverse topics as microbiology, delivery of health care, nutrition, pharmacology and environmental health. The categories covered in MEDLINE include everything from anatomy, organisms, diseases, psychiatry, and psychology to the physical sciences.
- MEDLINE currently contains over 21 million references dating back to 1946.
- New material is added daily.
- Coverage is worldwide, but most records (about 90%) are from English-language sources or have English abstracts.
- Most citations include a published abstract.
- The National Library of Medicine leases MEDLINE data to researchers and commercial vendors, but PubMed provides free access to MEDLINE directly from NLM.
< Previous Section | Next Section >