Search Field Tags
Terms may be qualified using PubMed's search field tags. A list of the available field names, tags, and brief field descriptions may be found in the PubMed Help under Search Field Descriptions and Tags.
- Each search term should be followed (qualified) with the appropriate search field tag that indicates which field will be searched.
- The search field tag must follow the term -- you cannot prequalify.
- In the example, aromatherapy[mh] is correct and [mh] aromatherapy is incorrect.
- Tags are enclosed in square brackets.
- Boolean operators -- AND, OR, NOT -- must be entered in uppercase letters.
- Boolean operators are processed from left to right.
- Use parentheses to nest terms together so they will be processed as a unit and then incorporated into the overall strategy.
Click on the links below to learn detailed information about these fields.
MeSH Headings [MH]
Pharmacologic Action [PA]
Text Words [TW]
Corporate Author [CN]
Personal Name as Subject [PS]
Place of Publication [PL]
Secondary Source Identifier [SI]
PubMed Unique Identifier [PMID]
Grant Number [GR]