Skip to Content
MeSH Headings [MH]
The MeSH Database and Advanced Search (Search by... section) can also be used to select MeSH headings for your search. Alternatively, you may use MeSH search field qualifiers:
- [mh] to search a MeSH heading (e.g., thromboembolism[mh]).
- [majr] to search a MeSH heading which is a major topic of an article (e.g., thromboembolism[majr]).
PubMed automatically searches the MeSH heading as well as the more specific terms beneath that heading in the MeSH hierarchy; i.e., the term is exploded.
- Use [mh:noexp] to search a MeSH heading and turn off the automatic EXPLODE (e.g., thromboembolism[mh:noexp]).
- [majr:noexp] to search a MeSH heading as a major topic and turn off the automatic EXPLODE (e.g., thromboembolism[majr:noexp]).
- Searching with MeSH tags will exclude In Process and publisher-supplied citations as they are not indexed with MeSH.
- PubMed will not supplement your search with searches of other fields (title, abstract, etc.) if searching with MeSH tags.
To see how PubMed translates a search term with the [mh] field tag, go to Details.
< Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >
Last reviewed: 3 April 2013
Last updated: 1 December 2011
First published: 20 March 2001
Metadata| Permanence level: Permanent: Dynamic Content