MedlinePlus Connect helps patients and health care providers access consumer health information at the point of need in a health IT system. Patient portals, patient health record (PHR) systems, and electronic health record (EHR) systems can use MedlinePlus Connect to provide health information for patients, families, and healthcare providers using standard clinical vocabularies for diagnoses (problem codes), medications, and lab tests.
MedlinePlus Connect is a free service of the National Library of Medicine (NLM), National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
MedlinePlus Connect Quick Facts
- Free, does not require registration.
- Fulfills one of the criteria for Meaningful Use of Health Information Technology.
- Implementing MedlinePlus Connect makes a global change; you don't need to create individual links.
- Accepts information requests based on coding systems already used by EHRs.
- Supports the HL7 Context-Aware Knowledge Retrieval (Infobutton) standard.
- Supports requests for information in English or Spanish.
- You don't have to use MedlinePlus Connect exclusively to link to patient education information. Many EHR systems can be configured to link to more than one source of consumer health information.
- Intended for use within the U.S. health care system and with coding systems used in the United States.
MedlinePlus Connect accepts requests for information on diagnoses (problem codes), medications, and lab tests, and returns related information from MedlinePlus.
- Find out more details about how MedlinePlus Connect works, what codes it accepts, and what it looks like within an electronic health record or patient health portal.
- View a sample of the health care organizations and electronic health records systems that currently use MedlinePlus Connect.
Implementing MedlinePlus Connect
To set up the MedlinePlus Connect Web application or Web service, work with a technical representative or staff member in your organization who can use the MedlinePlus Connect Web application or Web service. Check out our technical documentation for more detailed information and demonstrations.
Resources and News
- MedlinePlus Connect handout - PDF
- MedlinePlus Connect tri-fold brochure - PDF
- Radio interview, NIH Connects Patients, Providers with Health Care Info
- Webcast for UMLS users and health IT developers, covering MedlinePlus Connect technical essentials
- Webcast for HRSA grantees and health care providers, including a presentation from a MedlinePlus Connect user