New United Kingdom Granting Organizations for MEDLINE/PubMed
Effective August 2011, eight new granting organizations from United Kingdom have been added for the Grant Number (GR) field in MEDLINE®/PubMed®:
- Action on Hearing Loss
- Breakthrough Breast Cancer
- The Dunhill Medical Trust
- Marie Curie Cancer Care
- Motor Neurone Disease Association
- Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Myrovlytis Trust
- Parkinson’s UK
Grant information for these new organizations is added to citations based only on information reported in the UK PubMed Central Submission System (UKPMC+). These organizations joined the UKPMC Funders group in July 2011.
Grant number is displayed first, followed by the organization name, and then the country name.
- Examples of how the new grant support information looks in PubMed (Abstract display):
- G1234/Action on Hearing Loss/United Kingdom
- CTR-Q1-Y2/Breakthrough Breast Cancer/United Kingdom
- R93/1108/The Dunhill Medical Trust/United Kingdom
- MCCC-RI-09-07/Marie Curie Cancer Care/United Kingdom
- E-2-6501/Motor Neurone Disease Association/United Kingdom
- 940/Multiple Sclerosis Society/United Kingdom
- ABC1234/Myrovlytis Trust/United Kingdom
- F-0608/Parkinson’s UK/United Kingdom
Note: The above examples do not list all possible formats of grant numbers of an agency.
Grant information from these new granting organizations can be searched using the following:
- Grant number to retrieve citations with a specific grant, for example:
- The full organization name or pieces of the name to retrieve citations with grants from a specific granting organization, for example:
parkinson’s uk [gr]
- The country name to retrieve all citations with grants for granting organizations from a specific country, for example:
united kingdom [gr]
Comprehensive searching for a grant number can be more complicated because the information is not necessarily reported in a standardized format. Include the country name or the organization name in the search to be sure that the results are for the correct organization of interest, especially if searching only on a number string, e.g.:
- F-0608 [gr] AND united kingdom [gr]
Publication Type (PT) Searching
The corresponding research support Publication Type (PT) for these new organizations is Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't. NLM adds this PT based on the information found in the published journal article. If the grant information comes only from a manuscript deposited in PMC and the grant is not mentioned in the article, then the PT will not be added to the citation. The recommended PubMed search for non-U.S. Government funded research now is:
- research support, non-u.s. gov't [pt] OR united kingdom [gr] OR canada [gr] OR austria [gr] OR ireland [gr] OR italy [gr]
Be aware that grant numbers, along with the corresponding research support Publication Types, can appear on in process records.
Kwan YK. New United Kingdom Granting Organizations for MEDLINE/PubMed. NLM Tech Bull. 2011 Jul-Aug;(381):e12.