There are currently no job openings at NLM. If you would like to be notified when new positions are available, please sign up for Careers @ NLM email updates.
Postions for Head of National Network Coordinating Office and Chief of the Public Services Division (Applications Closed 9/19/2016)
Learn more about these two positions and the application process from the webinars on the NIH Office of Human Resources YouTube Channel:
- Webinar for The Head of National Network Coordinating Office
- Webinar for The Chief of the Public Service Division
NLM Invites Eligible Applicants for Library Operations Unit Head Positions (Application Closed 8/30/2016)
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) recruited up to 8 unit heads in the Division of Library Operations (LO). Information about these supervisory positions is included below:
- Bibliographic Services Division
- Public Services Division
- Technical Services Division
Bibliographic Services Division (3 positions)
This position reports to the Head of the Index Section and directs the work of up to seven professional and support staff. The position is responsible for:
- Managing MEDLINE data review activities, including establishing workflows to identify and add metadata to citations; coordinating scanning and OCR processes; and overseeing serials processing for MEDLINE journals;
- Managing technical systems that support data review and indexing;
- Investigating and implementing new services to improve discovery in MEDLINE;
- Contributing to the development of automated tools and other technologies that support data review and Index Section operations;
- Assessing the need for and managing contracts related to the work of the Unit.
This position reports to the Head of the Index Section and directs the work of up to seven professional staff including MEDLINE indexers and revisers. The position is responsible for:
- Managing Index Section customer service operations;
- Investigating MEDLINE user needs and recommending policy and procedural changes that support improved discovery and analysis of the biomedical research literature;
- Advising management on best practices to ensure quality of MEDLINE indexing;
- Contributing to Index Section training of new indexers;
- Contributing to the development of automated tools and other technologies that support indexing and curation.
This position reports to the Head of MEDLARS Management Section and directs the work of six professional staff who coordinate online, hybrid and in-person training, working with the National Network of Libraries of Medicine Training Office and other NLM Divisions including NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) and SIS (Specialized Information Services). Coordinates the deployment of content and technology with the network and other NLM divisions. This position is responsible for:
- Coordinating activities between NLM and its online users providing documentation, technical information, and training;
- Responding to advanced customer service inquiries;
- Developing, producing, and updating webinars; online tutorials; online Quick Tours; and related training materials for NLM products and services which BSD supports (including the Learning Resources Database);
- Overseeing the production work of the NLM Technical Bulletin;
- Handling the review and updating of BSD Web pages;
- Supporting MMS PubMed Team and LinkOut for Libraries Team work and works closely with NCBI on these efforts;
- Coordinating NLM Exhibit Booth and Theatre presentations at the annual Medical Library Association Conference (MLA)
Public Services Division (4 positions)
This position reports to the Head of Collection Access Section and directs the work of up to ten professional and support staff. The position is responsible for:
- Providing ILL support and customer service to members of the National Network of libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) and beyond;
- Providing oversight to three large contract activities, one of which employs ten full and part-time contractor staff who retrieve and scan materials for delivery.
- Providing onsite access services, managing and coordinating all activities of the Library’s document delivery services, including Circulation and Readers’ Services;
- Managing contracts for the provision of document delivery;
- Using in-depth knowledge of NLM databases, collections, and operational procedures and structure to resolve complex patron problems.
This position reports to the Head of Collection Access Section and directs the work of up to seven professional staff. The position is responsible for:
- Overseeing the proper function and maintenance of several key NLM systems as well as the Section’s needs regarding hardware and software support for Collection Access staff and Main Reading Room patrons. The major systems include DOCLINE and Relais;
- Advising management on establishing policies and practices as well as overseeing the Section’s budget for hardware and software;
- Ensuring that Section’s systems and software are effectively and efficiently maintained, developed, tested, and implemented to support the Section’s public services mission;
- Establishing excellent collaborative working relationships with other Library Operations unit heads, appropriate Office of Communication and Computing Support personnel, appropriate NIH personnel, and other systems personnel within NLM
- Maintaining a knowledge of non-Collection Access Section technology products important to NLM and related to Section work such as SharePoint, digital repositories, electronic resources management systems, library integrated management systems, discovery platforms, and numerous other technology produced used by staff to support NLM services and programs.
Collection Management Unit, Preservation and Collection Management Section, Public Services Division
This position reports to the Head of Preservation and Collection Management Section and directs the work of up to three staff. The position is responsible for:
- Providing oversight of the Collection Management and Reformatting contract that provides approximately 18 staff and services across two divisions and several sections of Library Operations;
- Managing library preservation including library binding, collection repair, space planning, collection shifting, integrated pest management, and disaster planning and response.
The position reports to the Head of Reference and Web Services Section and directs the work of up to seven professional staff and four contractors responsible for responding directly, or coordinating the response, to questions about NLM’s products and services including PubMed, ClinicalTrials.gov, MedlinePlus, the NLM collections and others. Manages the customer response software system, in cooperation with other NLM divisions. Manages the staff who provide assistance to on-site readers. The position is responsible for:
- Managing customer service, organizing and providing health information, collection development, evaluating information services on the internet and other systems used by libraries to provide these services;
- Managing the ongoing activities of a unit responsible for providing services to health professionals, librarians, educators, publishers, researchers, the media, the public, and others;
- Serving as project officer on contracts that involve customer service, health information, or web services;
- Coordinating unit staff projects that involve: serving on internal/external committees; outreach; specialized reference services; maintaining library websites; evaluating customer feedback.
Technical Services Division (1 position)
The Technical Services Division is seeking a unit head in the Technology Services Section.
The position reports to the Head of the Library Technology Services Section and directs the work of up to six professional and support staff. The position is responsible for:
- Managing first level desktop hardware and software support for the Technical Services Division, advising management on establishing local policies and practices, and maintaining the Division’s budget for desktop computers and software;
- Ensuring that library systems and software are effectively and efficiently maintained, developed, tested, and implemented to support the Division’s collections development, acquisitions, licensing, electronic resources management, and cataloging operations.
- Library systems include the integrated library system; the Digital Collections repository; locally developed systems to support NLM indexing and PubMed citation creation activities; online public access catalogs to provide discovery and delivery of the NLM Collection; electronic resources management systems including an OpenURL link resolver; report writing software for providing statistical reports and data analyses; web collecting and archiving software; SharePoint installations, including a Library Operations-wide documentation system; and numerous other software used by staff to support NLM services and programs.
About the National Library of Medicine
The National Library of Medicine is located on the campus of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, just outside of Washington, DC. The 317-acre campus boasts plenty of green space, where we have regular cultural events for staff and the public. A Metro subway station (Medical Center on the Red Line) and bus stops on the NIH campus provide access to DC, suburban Maryland, and Northern Virginia. We also have free parking.
NLM and NIH are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects diversity. NLM hires, promotes, trains, and provides career development based on merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity), parental status, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, or political affiliation.