As of March 10, 2020 the National Library of Medicine is open, but buildings are temporarily closed.
Due to COVID-19, the National Library of Medicine Reading Room remains closed to the public until further notice.
NLM will continue to provide interlibrary loan (ILL) services. For latest NLM ILL service information check this website: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/psd/cas/illhome.html.
- Reading Room Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Visitors Center Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- The Reading Room and Visitors Center are closed on Federal holidays.
Coming to NLM
- Procedures for visitors to NIH (including REAL ID requirements)
- Directions and parking information
- Hotels Near NIH
Researching at NLM
Visiting NLM and the NIH Campus
When you visit NLM on the NIH Campus, you should follow the procedures regarding Campus Access and Security.
- Contact security at (301) 496-6010
- Inquire about lost and found items at any of the guard stations in Building 38
Making the Most of Your Visit
- Visit the NLM Welcome Page.
- Take a tour of the Library.
- Explore the Objects of Art in the National Library of Medicine.
- Visit the interactive displays at the NLM Visitors Center.
- At the National Institutes of Health (NIH Map): Office of NIH History & Stetten Museum
- In Washington, D.C., visit Historic Medical Sites in the Washington, DC Area
Last Reviewed: May 18, 2022