- NLM provides access to the published literature on the ethical, legal and public policy issues surrounding health care and biomedical research.
Computational Molecular Biology
- A tool that finds regions of similarity between biological sequences. The program compares nucleotide or protein sequences to sequence databases and calculates the statistical significance.
- A database of nucleotide sequences.
- Molecular Structure and Function
- A database of macromolecular 3D structures, as well as tools for their visualization and comparative analysis.
- Taxonomy Database
- A database of taxonomic names of lineages of organisms represented in NCBI's sequence databases.
- Conserved Domain Database (CDD)
- A database to identify the conserved domains present in a protein sequence.
- Reference Sequences (RefSeq)
- A collection of reference sequences for genomes, gene transcripts, and proteins.
- Automatic partioning of gene transcripts and proteins.
- Vector Alignment Search Tool (VAST)
- A computer algorithm developed at NCBI and used to identify similar protein 3-dimensional structures ("similar structures") by purely geometric criteria, and to identify distant homologs that cannot be recognized by sequence comparison.
Health and Medical Information
- MEDLINE/PubMed Data Documentation
- PubMed Central
- A digital archive of life sciences journal literature.
Human Genome Resources
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM)
- A guide to genes and inherited disorders.
- Entrez Gene
- A comprehensive database of genes and associated information.
- Genome Data Viewer
- A genome browser supporting the exploration and analysis of more than 580 eukaryotic RefSeq genome assemblies.
- Clone Registry
- Genomic clones and libraries, including sequence data, genomic position, and distributor information.
- More Human Genome resources at NCBI
Language and Knowledge Processing
- Unified Medical Language System (UMLS)
- Indexing Initiative
- An investigation of automated indexing methods
- More Natural Language Processing resources at the Lister Hill Center for Biomedical Information
Public Health Information
- NIH Disaster Research Response (DR2)
- A national framework for research on the medical and public health aspects of disasters and public health emergencies.
- Health Services Research and Public Health
- HealthReach - Health Information in Many Languages
- A resource of quality multilingual, multicultural public health information for those working with or providing care to individuals with limited English proficiency.
- Healthy People 2020 Structured Evidence Queries
- A resource that provides pre-formulated PubMed search strategies to find published literature to support achieving Healthy People 2020 objectives.
Toxicology and Environmental Health
- Toxicology and Environmental Health Information Program
- Comprehensive toxicology and environmental health information.
- A cluster of databases on toxicology, hazardous chemicals, and related areas.
- Hazardous Chemical Information
- An occupational toxicology database designed to link jobs to hazardous job tasks. These tasks are linked to occupational diseases and their symptoms.
Policies and Guidelines
- NIH Public Access and NIH Manuscript Submission — Useful Resources & Tools
- Research Reporting Guidelines and Initiatives: By Organization
- Citing Medicine: the NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors, and Publishers