Directions and Parking Information
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) encourage you to use public transportation. Visitor directions to the NLM Reading Room and parking information, including maps and parking rates, are at:
There is limited parking on the NIH Campus. Parking regulations are strictly enforced with tickets and tow trucks. Parking meters are monitored from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Parking at NLM: Limited metered parking is in front of the Library (Building 38) facing Rockville Pike and across the street at Building 45.
- One meter is for all parking spaces in front of the NLM main entrance.
- Select your parking space number, and pay by cash or credit/debit card.
- Parking costs $.50 per 15 minutes with a maximum of $6 for 3 hours; you can go back and pay for more time.
- Free handicapped parking is available in the employee lots by the Library (Bldg. 38) and Lister Hill Center (Bldg.38A).
You can also park at the NIH Gateway entrance and walk or take a campus shuttle bus to the NLM. See Campus Access and Security for more information.
By Taxi, Limo, or Car/Vanpool
Taxis, limos, and carpools or vanpools must go through the security check point. Follow the car directions to the NLM. Tell the driver to stop either at the main entrance of NLM (Bldg. 38, facing Rockville Pike) or the ten-story Lister Hill Center (Bldg. 38A) next to the main building.
By Train - Amtrak and Commuter
The NLM/NIH is accessible by train via Amtrak’s Washington DC Union Station, which is on the Red Line of the Metrorail system. You can connect to the Red Line by using Amtrak, the MARC Rail, or the VRE.
Travel time from DC's three major airports to the NLM is about 45 minutes to one hour.
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport
- Dulles International Airport
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
Other NLM Facilities
There are several NLM Divisions located off-campus:
Last Reviewed: June 3, 2022