NLM Classification 2011 Edition Now Available
2011 marks the 60th anniversary of the NLM Classification. See the Historical Development http://www.nlm.nih.gov/class//nlmclassintro.html#History.
The NLM Classification incorporates all additions and changes to the schedules and index from April 2010 through March 2011. The PDF version will be updated with 2011 classification data by the end of May 2011.
A new link was added to the NLM Classification homepage for a cumulative list of new class numbers added from 2002 (year the NLM Classification was first published in electronic form) through the current year.
The WL (Nervous System) and WM (Psychiatry) schedules were the major areas of focus for the 2011 edition.
- Some WL and WM class number captions and notes were revised to better reflect the scope of the number. For example:
- At WL 108, the caption Physiology of sleep was augmented with Sleep disorders.
- At WL 359, the caption Degenerative was changed to Parkinsonian disorders.
- At WM 30, the caption Administrative psychiatry was changed to Mental health services.
- Ethics was moved from the caption at WM 62 and affixed to the caption at WM 21.
- At WM 175, the caption was changed from Anorexia nervosa. Bulimia to Eating Disorders.
- At WM 188, the note was changed from: Classify here material on all disorders of sleep regardless of severity to Classify here material on the psychological aspects of sleep disorders.
- A note was added to WM 203.5: Classify here works on the adult alone. Classify works dealing with autistic disorder in both children and adults or in children alone at WS 350.8.P4.
- At WM 611, the caption was changed from Psychosexual dysfunctions to Psychiatric aspects of sexuality.
- Table G (geographic breakdown) is now permitted with WM 30.
Class Numbers Added and Canceled
Forty-six (46) new class numbers were added and three (3) class numbers were canceled.
Class Numbers Added — 2011
|New Number||Class Name||Former Number in the Index|
|WL 102.3||Neural stem cells||None|
|WL 103.3||Biofeedback||WL 103|
|WL 141.5||[Neurologic examination. Diagnosis. Diagnostic methods] Specific diagnostic methods, A-Z||WL 141|
|WL 141.5.C4||Cerebral angiography||WL 141|
|WL 141.5.C48||Cerebral ventriculography||WL 141|
|WL 141.5.M2||Magnetic resonance imaging||WL 141|
|WL 141.5.M24||Magnetoencephalography||WL 141|
|WL 141.5.N4||Neuroendoscopy||WL 141|
|WL 141.5.N46||Neuropsychological tests||WL 141|
|WL 141.5.N47||Neuroradiography||WL 141|
|WL 141.5.P8||Pneumoencephalography||WL 141|
|WL 141.5.T7||Transcranial magnetic stimulation||WL 141|
|WL 301||Central nervous system diseases||WL 300|
|WL 337||Physiology of mental processes||Various numbers|
|WL 340.3||Speech therapy. Language therapy||WL 340.2|
|WL 356||Brain ischemia. Stroke||WL 355|
|WL 357||Carotid artery diseases||WL 355|
|WL 358.5||Neurodegenerative diseases (General or not elsewhere classified)||WL 359|
|WL 359.5||Huntington disease||WL 390|
|WL 402||Spinal cord diseases||WL 400|
|WL 403||Spinal cord injuries||WL 400|
|WM 30.1||[Mental health services] General coverage (Not Table G)||WM 30|
|WM 30.2||Administration of services and health personnel||WM 30|
|WM 101||Mental health (General)||WM 105|
|WM 143||Psychological interview||WM 141|
|WM 171.5||Depression. Depressive disorder||WM 171|
|WM 172.4||Psychological stress||WM 172|
|WM 172.5||Stress disorders||WM 172|
|WM 190.5||[Personality disorders] Special topics, A-Z||WM 190|
|WM 190.5.A2||Antisocial personality disorder||WM 190|
|WM 190.5.B5||Borderline personality disorder||WM 190|
|WM 190.5.C5||Compulsive personality disorder||WM 190|
|WM 190.5.D3||Dependent personality disorder. Codependency||WM 190|
|WM 190.5.I6||Impulse control disorders. Gambling. Fire setting behavior||WM 190|
|WM 420.5.N3||Narrative therapy||None|
|WM 420.5.N4||Neurolinguistic therapy||None|
|WM 420.5.P3||Personal construct therapy||None|
|WM 427||Spiritual and religious therapy||WM 61|
|WM 460.2||Psychoanalytic theory (General or not elsewhere classified)||WM 460|
|WM 460.5.S8||Superego. Morals||WM 460.5.R3|
|WM 460.5.T7||Transactional analysis||WM 460.6|
|WM 475.3||Speech therapy. Language therapy||WM 475|
|WM 475.7||Stuttering||WM 475|
|WM 607||Incest||WM 610|
|WN 250.5.R15||Radiosurgery||WL 368|
|WS 350.8.P4||Pervasive development disorders||WS 350|
Class Numbers Canceled— 2011
|Canceled Number||Class Name||Now Classed in|
|WL 30||Administration of services||Various numbers|
|WM 145.5.C3||Cattell personality factor questionnaire||WM 145.5.M6|
|WM 202||Functional||Not applicable|
Table G (Geographic Notations)
One (1) geographic cutter was added to the Historical Geographic Locations section of Table G (Geographic Notations)
AC7-- Confederate States of America
- One (1) geographic cutter was revised:
- Byelarus changed to Belarus
Other Changes to the Schedule
Changes were made to other class schedules. For example:
- The schedule outline WA 695-722 Food was augmented with Food Safety.
- At form number 1 throughout the schedules, Organizations was added to the caption; Academies was added to the caption for form numbers 23-24.
- At WJ 712, the caption was changed from Sex differentiation disorders to Disorders of sex development to reflect more current terminology.
- Instructional notes were added or modified to clarify classification practices as needed. For example:
- A note was added to WN 240: Classify specific imaging techniques with the technique. Classify works on imaging of a system or organs of the system in WS 260-342.
- The note preceding WS 260-342 was revised to provide guidance on classification of pediatric surgical procedures.
All index entries pertaining to the aforementioned schedule additions and changes were modified.
Changes to the Index
Sixty-nine (69) new index entries were created of which forty-one (41) are from the 2011 MeSH; the remainder are MeSH terms from previous years. All main index headings are linked to the 2011 vocabulary in the MeSH Browser.
- New Index Entries:
- Acute Kidney Injury
- Airway Management
- Anxiety, Separation
- Blood Safety
- Body Dysmorphic Disorders
- Brain Waves
- Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy
- Clinical Coding
- Cognitive Science
- Dental Anxiety
- Enzyme Replacement Therapy
- Enzyme Therapy
- Feedback, Physiological
- Feedback, Psychological
- Food Safety
- General Practice
- General Practitioners
- Gynecological Examination
- Hand-Assisted Laparoscopy
- Head Injuries, Closed
- Health Communication
- Horticultural Therapy
- Hydrophobic and Hydrophilic Interactions
- Infant Behavior
- Inhalant Abuse
- International Classification of Diseases
- Memory, Long-Term
- Meningitis, Bacterial
- Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory
- Molecular Targeted Therapy
- Myotonic Dystrophy
- Neglected Diseases
- Neural Stem Cells
- Neurolinguistic Programming
- Optic Disk
- Orthognathic Surgery
- Osteoporotic Fractures
- Otoacoustic Emissions, Spontaneous
- Parkinsonian Disorders
- Performance-Enhancing Substances
- Perioperative Period
- Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Personal Construct Theory
- Pleuropneumonia, Contagious
- Physicians, Primary Care
- Primary Care Nursing
- Professional Misconduct
- Psychomotor Agitation
- Pupil Disorders
- Rett Syndrome
- Standard of Care
- Stem Cell Research
- Synthetic Biology
- Taste Disorders
- Tumor Microenvironment
- Ultrasonography, Doppler, Transcranial
- Veterans Health
- Visual Field Tests
Numerous main index entries and cross references were modified to reflect changes in the MeSH vocabulary. For example:
- Algae was deleted from the index as a main heading; it is now a sub-index entry under Eukaryota.
- Sex Differentiation Disorders was deleted as a main heading and made a cross reference to Disorders of Sexual Development.
- Glue Sniffing was moved as a cross reference from Substance-Related Disorders and made a cross reference to Inhalant Abuse.
- Autobiography was changed to Autobiography as Topic. The publication type, Personal Narratives was changed to the Publication Type Autobiography. The classification practice remains the same. Personal Narratives is now a cross reference to Autobiography.
NLM Classification index entries with Library of Congress Classification S (Agriculture) schedule class numbers were reviewed for accuracy and relevance.
To learn more about the NLM Classification see the Fact Sheet.
Willis, S. NLM Classification 2011 Edition Now Available. NLM Tech Bull. 2011 Mar-Apr;(379):e26.