Unified Medical Language System® (UMLS®)
2013AA UMLS® Release Notes and Bugs
The 2013AA Metathesaurus contains more than 2.9 million concepts and 11.4 million unique concept names from over 160 source vocabularies.
The release is available now in two versions: Full and Active. The Full Release includes all source vocabularies. The Active Release includes only vocabularies that are actively updated in the Metathesaurus. The Active Release is a smaller download, decreases MetamorphoSyS processing time, and provides easier access to current Metathesaurus content.
Four new sources were added:
- Ages & Stages Questionnaire (LNC_ASQ_3)
- Pressure Ulcer Stages (LNC_NPUAP)
- Veterans RAND 12 Item Health Survey VR-12 (LNC_VR_12)
- Source of Payment Typology (SOP)
One new content view was added:
- RxNorm Current Prescribable Content Subset
46 English sources and 20 translation sources were updated. These include MeSH®, MedDRA, RxNorm, and SNOMED CT® (English and Spanish). A complete list is available in the Updated Sources section of the Release Documentation. For more detailed information on changes in this version of the Metathesaurus, see the Updated Sources (Expanded) section. Additional release statistics may be found in the Statistics section.
- Some fields in the RRF files have changed their allowable character length, which could affect those loading the Metathesaurus into a database. See the full list of changes for details.
- 2013AA is the last release that will include the co-occurrences files: MRCOC.RRF and MRCOC (ORF format). Co-occurrence information will remain on the NLM Web site; more details will be provided with the 2013AB release in November.
Logical Observation Identifier Names and Codes (LOINC)
- The representation of LOINC (SAB=LNC) in the Metathesaurus does not include the following content:
- Borderline Symptom List – 23 Item
- Borderline Symptom List - Supplement
- Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale
- Patient Reported Outcomes Measurement (PROMIS)
- Test of Infant Motor Performance (TIMP)
- A full Metathesaurus subset now requires 23 GB of disk space.
- The active release requires 22 GB of disk space.
- MetamorphoSys requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 1.7.
- NLM no longer provides support for the creation of UMLS subsets on Solaris operating systems. Solaris users are encouraged to switch to a supported operating system:
- Windows® 7 Enterprise, Vista® XP
- Linux®, all releases are fully tested under Ubuntu Desktop. Other Linux releases may work equally well
- Macintosh® OS X (Leopard, Snow Leopard)
SPECIALIST Lexicon and Lexical Tools
- The SPECIALIST Lexicon has been updated (2013 Release).
- The Lexical Tools have been updated (2013 Release) and integrate data from the SPECIALIST Lexicon, 2013 Release. The Lexical Tools include the Full and Lite versions of lvg.2013.
- The Metathesaurus index files were processed using the updated lvg files.
UMLS Learning Resources
2013AA Source Release Documentation Web pages will be published following the release.
Users who are new to the UMLS are encouraged to review the New Users' homepage. This page includes the new UMLS Quick Start Guide, online demonstrations, step-by-step guides, and a link to UMLS training materials.
Title: MetamorphoSys Validation Error
Problem: There is a known problem with MetamorphoSys that prevents it from validating files.
Solution: NLM is working to resolve this error.
Date Posted: May 8, 2013
Please send any issues or concerns to NLM Customer Service.
UMLS Problems (Bugs) for Previous Versions
Release information for the RRF Browser