Unified Medical Language System® (UMLS®)
2016AB UMLS® Release Notes and Bugs
The 2016AB Metathesaurus contains approximately 3.44 million concepts and 13.7 million unique concept names from 199 source vocabularies.
Three new sources:
- DRUGBANK (Drug & Drug Target Database)
- DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition)
- NUCCPT (National Uniform Claim Committee - Health Care Provider Taxonomy)
One new NCI sub-source: NCI-GENC (Geopolitical Entities, Names, and Codes (GENC) Standard Edition 1)
Two sources removed:
- DSM3R - Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Third Edition revised (DSM-III-R)
- DSM4 - Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV)
One new content view: LOINC Universal Lab Orders Value Set
One removed content view: LOINC Top 300+ Lab Orders
55 English sources and 30 translation sources were updated. These include MeSH®, MedDRA, RxNorm, and SNOMED CT® (English and Spanish). A complete list is available in the Updated Sources section of the Release Documentation. For more detailed information on changes in this version of the Metathesaurus, see the Updated Sources (Expanded) section. Additional release statistics may be found in the Statistics section.
- The full release requires 26.1 GB of disk space.
- The active release requires 25.4 GB of disk space.
New for 2016AB: The full and active release files are available as one-click downloads. Users only need to download one file for each release. After the release file is downloaded, users must unzip the file and then follow the usual step of unzipping the contents mmsys.zip to the main folder.
MetamorphoSys can generate custom load scripts for MySQL, Oracle, or Microsoft Access when creating a Metathesaurus subset or installing the Semantic Network. Instructions are available on the UMLS Load Scripts homepage.
UMLS Learning Resources
2016AB Source Release Documentation Web pages will be published following the release.
Additional information regarding the UMLS is available on the UMLS homepage. New users are encouraged to take the UMLS Basics Tutorial and to explore the UMLS Quick Start Guide, and other training materials.
There are no known problems for the 2016AB release. Please send any issues or concerns to NLM Customer Service.
UMLS Problems (Bugs) for Previous Versions
Release information for the RRF Browser