Grants are available for fundamental and applied research in biomedical informatics and data science. Areas of research interest include: representation, organization and retrieval of biomedical and biological data and images; enhancement of human intellectual capacities through virtual reality, dynamic modeling, artificial intelligence, and machine learning; medical decision-making; linguistic analyses for natural language processing and understanding; informatics topics relevant to public health and informatics for disaster management.
Current Funding Opportunities
- Personal Health Informatics for Delivering Actionable Insights to Individuals (R01 Clinical Trial Optional)
(PAR-23-245) Support for furthering the science of personal health informatics by providing meaningful and actionable insights to individuals through innovative personal health data collection, integration, analysis, and personalized risk assessments and interpretation.
- NLM Research Grants in Biomedical Informatics and Data Science (R01 Clinical Trial Optional)
(PAR-23-034)Support for state of the art methods and approaches to address problems with data sets or tools used to analyze them.
- Computational Approaches to Curation at Scale for Biomedical Research Assets (R01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
(PAR-20-304) Support for novel informatics and data science approaches that can improve the speed and scope of the curation processes.
- NIH Research Project Grant (Parent R01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (PA-20-185)
For investigators whose needs are not met by NLM Research Grants in Biomedical Informatics and Data Science.
- Research Project Grant (Parent R01 Basic Experimental Studies with Humans Required) (PA-20-184)
Support for basic science informatics and data science studies involving human participants.
- NIH Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Program (Parent R21 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (PA-20-195)
Support for early and conceptual work and feasibility test in biomedical informatics and health sciences library and information science.
- Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Data Driven Research on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (R21) (LM-NOT-20-011) - Click here to view guidance on the need for and value of data harmonization and data sharing for the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency.
- NIH Support for Conferences and Scientific Meetings [NLM Informatics Conference Grants] (Parent R13 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)(PA-20-207)
- NIH Helping to End Addiction Long-term (HEAL) Initiative. An aggressive, trans-agency effort to speed scientific solutions to stem the national opioid public health crisis.
Previous Funding Opportunities (not complete)
- Data Science Research: Personal Health Libraries for Consumers and Patients (R01 Clinical Trial Optional).
Support for novel informatics and data science approaches that help individuals gather, manage and use data and information about their personal health.
- Emergency Competitive Revision to Existing NIH Awards (Emergency Supplement - Clinical Trial Optional) (PA-20-135).
Support for applications based on a presidentially declared disaster under the Stafford Act, a public health emergency declared by the Secretary, HHS, or other local, regional or national disaster.
- Research on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) (R01 Clinical Trials Not Allowed).