History of Medicine
Army Medical Museum and Library on the Mall
This structure was the successor to the Ford's Theatre facility. Opened in 1887, it was designed and built by John Shaw Billings to house the Army Medical Museum, the Library of the Surgeon General's Office, and some of the medical records. Between 1893 and 1910, it also housed the Army Medical School. The Museum and the Library remained in this location until the 1960s, when they were moved to their present separate locations, while the old building was razed and replaced by Smithsonian's Hirshhorn Museum. The Army Medical Museum evolved into the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology and the National Museum of Health and Medicine, Washington, D.C., and the Library of Surgeon General's Office became the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD.
See: #7 on Downtown Map.
Nearest Metro Station: 'L'Enfant Plaza' on Blue, Orange, Green and Yellow Lines.