Skip Navigation Bar
 
Banner for Historic Medical Sites in the Washington, DC Area, Celebrating the Bicentennial of the Nation's Capital featuring an orange background with cream letters.
A color bird's eye view  of the Lincoln General Hospital complex including 20 pavilions, arranged in two lines forming a V shape, and 25 tent wards.

Lincoln General Hospital

20

Lincoln General Hospital
East Capitol and 15th Streets
Washington, DC

Opened in December 1862, Lincoln General was the largest of the military hospitals in the area built by the Army to take care of the Civil War casualties. It was located on Capitol Hill, 15 blocks east of the Capitol building. The hospital complex included 20 pavilions, arranged in two lines forming a V, and 25 tent wards, which provided altogether a bed capacity of 2,575. The kitchen and dining rooms were connected to the pavilions by means of a covered pathway. In addition to the headquarters (marked by the flag), there were officers quarters, quarters for Sisters who provided nursing service, barracks, guard house, separate quarters for contrabands, and service facilities such as water tank, laundry, barber shop, carpenter shop, stables and a morgue ("Dead House"). Like most other military hospitals, Lincoln General was taken down shortly after the Civil War. The area once occupied by Lincoln General is now a residental district.

See: #2 on Area Map.

No nearby Metro Station.

Non-existing facility.


Overview | List of Sites | Downtown Map | Area Map | Copyright Notice | Credits