- Do not freeze dry illuminated or gilded volumes.
- Drain excess water and square up the book without forcing into shape.
- Wrap freezer paper around the closed book.
- Place corrugated board between books of different sizes to maintain rigidity.
- Pack books one layer deep, spine down, in plastic cartons.
- Pack containers three-quarters full. Fill out excess space in the carton with plain, crumpled paper and corrugated board for extra support.
- Pack oversize items flat with freezer paper or polyester webbing between items. The shape of the book as it goes into the freezer will become the shape of the book when dried.