The Bibliographic Services Division (BSD), a part of Library Operations at the National Library of Medicine (NLM), fosters expanded access of health information to health professionals and the general public by creating MEDLINE®, the NLM premiere citation database to biomedical literature references.
The Office of the Chief supports:
- Interactions with publishers and editors of biomedical journals and assisting the NLM Literature Selection Technical Review Committee (LSTRC) in their review of journals for inclusion in MEDLINE. A list of committee members is available. A list of titles recently selected is also available.
The Division is composed of two Sections:
- Index Section - creates and maintains the MEDLINE database containing references to current articles from over 5,600 of the world's biomedical journals; coordinates the data entry, indexing, and commentary contracts; and conducts research leading to more efficient forms of indexing and data entry.
- MEDLARS Management Section (MMS) - responsible for coordinating the overall development and management activities for MEDLINE/PubMed, the UMLS, VSAC, and other NLM projects and services.
Selected BSD Resources:
MEDLINE Journals and the Literature Selection Technical Review Committee
- MEDLINE Journal Selection Fact Sheet
- FAQ: Journal Selection for MEDLINE Indexing at NLM
- Currently Indexed MEDLINE Journals
- Journals Recently Accepted by NLM for Inclusion in MEDLINE
- MEDLINE Policy on Indexing Electronic Journals
- ICMJE Recommendations
- PIE-J: Presentation & Indentification of E-Journals
- Construction of National Library of Medicine Title Abbreviations
- Other Journal Resources
- Article Versions and MEDLINE/PubMed Citations
- Authorship in MEDLINE
- Errata, Retraction, Partial Retraction, Corrected and Republished Articles, Duplicate Publication, Comment, Update, Patient Summary and Republished (Reprinted) Article Policy for MEDLINE
- MEDLINE/PubMed Journal Article Citation Format
- Annual MEDLINE®/PubMed® Year-End Processing (YEP) Background Information
- Other Policies