List of All Journals Cited in PubMed®
Approximately 30,000 records are included in the PubMed journal list which is updated daily and includes all MEDLINE® titles as well as other non-MEDLINE titles in PubMed. The PubMed journal list covers the entire span of MEDLINE, not just currently indexed journals. The non-MEDLINE journals include those whose content is deposited in PMC (PubMed Central). PMC is also the repository for author manuscripts that are required under the NIH Public Access Policy to be deposited when the research is funded by NIH. Certain other government agencies or funding organizations use PMC for their Public Access Policy requirements as well.
NLM creates a cataloging record for every journal with a full text article in PMC. Therefore, while most MEDLINE journals over the years have citations for all substantive content published, some of the non-MEDLINE journals may contribute far fewer citations over the years.
A few notes about the PubMed journal list:
- The list is offered in different formats; see: How do I know if my journal is indexed in MEDLINE/PubMed?
- The records are not in alphabetical order.
- The JrId is a sequential identifier number for the journals that appear in various NCBI databases; therefore, the PubMed journal list has gaps in the JrID range. The bottom JrID number does not equal the total number of records in the file.
- Full journal title names may contain initial grammar articles (e.g., The, An, A) which may affect use of these data for searching and filing purposes.
- The NlmId is the accession number for the journal cataloging record in the NLM bibliographic database. LocatorPlus and the NLM Catalog on the NCBI Entrez system are public interfaces to NLM bibliographic data.
- MedAbbr is a short form of the full journal title; it is assigned whether the title is a MEDLINE journal or not.
- ISO Abbreviations are constructed at NLM to assist NCBI in linking from GenBank to PubMed.
- Example of a MEDLINE journal:
- JrId: 596
- JournalTitle: Annals of internal medicine.
- MedAbbr: Ann Intern Med
- ISSN (Print): 0003-4819
- ISSN (Online): 1539-3704
- IsoAbbr: Ann. Intern. Med.
- NlmId: 0372351
- Example of a MEDLINE journal name with initial grammar article:
- JrId: 5985
- JournalTitle: The New England journal of medicine.
- MedAbbr: N Engl J Med
- ISSN (Print): 0028-4793
- ISSN (Online): 1533-4406
- IsoAbbr: N. Engl J. Med.
- NlmId: 0255562
- Example of a PMC journal in which at least one author manuscript was published:
- JrId: 38224
- JournalTitle: Advanced powder technology : the international journal of the Society of Powder Technology, Japan
- MedAbbr: Adv Powder Technol
- ISSN (Print): 0921-8831
- ISSN (Online): 1568-5527
- IsoAbbr: Adv Powder Technol
- NlmId: 101535104
- Example of a PMC journal that is not a MEDLINE title, as of Jan. 2016:
- JrId: 36751
- JournalTitle: Allergy, asthma, and clinical immunology : official journal of the Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
- MedAbbr: Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol
- ISSN (Print): 1710-1484
- ISSN (Online): 1710-1492
- IsoAbbr: Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol
- NlmId: 101244313
- Number of Titles Currently Indexed for Index Medicus® and MEDLINE® on PubMed®
- FAQ: Finding NLM Serials Data and MEDLINE Indexed Journals
- Other FTP journal lists offered by NCBI: How do I know if my journal is indexed in MEDLINE/PubMed?
- MEDLINE, PubMed, and PMC (PubMed Central): How are they different?
- MEDLINE/PubMed Resources Guide: Journals
Last Reviewed: May 3, 2018