DOCLINE Help: Tips for Resubmitting a Retired Unfilled Request
Please review the following information before resubmitting a Retired Unfilled request; it will help you determine what changes may be needed on the Place Order page to maximize the chances your request will be filled.
In Borrow Search, select the Show Request History button on the request card. This will enable you to see:
- Why: The reason/s the request was not filled (for example, Incomplete, Beyond Routing Map, Not On Shelf, Cost, Lacking, etc.) (See Reasons and Actions)
- Who: the lenders the request routed to
- When: the request routed and was rejected
The following tips may help you make the request changes:
If your request was retired as Expired:
- Check the “Need by Date in “Request Information” on the Place Order page.
If your request was retired as Not Filled (Cancelled):
- Review the any notes or reasons you (or the lender) cancelled the request
- Contact the lender who updated the request as Not Filled (Cancelled) as needed.
- Revise your request as necessary
If your request was retired as Not Filled (Copyright):
- Review the requested material and pages to determine if they meet Section 107 and 108 of the U.S. Code
- Review the "Copyright Compliance" field in “Request Information” on the Place Order page
- Contact the lender who updated the request as Not Filled (Copyright) as needed.
If your request was retired as Not Filled (Cost):
- Review and update the "Maximum Cost" field in “Request Information” on the Place Order page
- If your routing table is structured around lender fees (for example, free libraries in the first cells), review which routing cells were used for the request by reviewing values in “Routing Information” on the Place Order page. Select and de-select routing cells and route to "All Other Libraries" as needed.
- Edit your Routing Table; remove libraries whose charges are incompatible with your default maximum cost.
Routing is determined by the default routing instructions in your Library Profile. Routing instructions can be modified while placing or resubmitting an individual request.
Routing Information choices include: which routing cells will be checked; your defaults for routing to "NLM" or "All Other Libraries;” your requested delivery method(s); requested Service Level (ex. Rush), Service Type (Copy or Loan), Fill From Format and EFTS selection.
If your request was retired as Not Filled (Incomplete):
- For non-PMID requests, verify the citation entered and correct as needed within “Citation Information” on the Place Order page
- Contact the lender who updated the request as Not Filled (Incomplete) as needed.
If your request was retired as Beyond Routing Map:
- Review the routing cells used for the request by reviewing Request History, or the selections in “Routing Information” on the Place Order page. Select and de-select routing cells as needed. For example, de-select cells which could not previously fill the request unless the rejection reason is temporary (for example, Not On Shelf, At Bindery).
- Search Journal Holdings using the NLM Unique ID and holdings information (volume or year) used for the retired request; set search limits to find new lenders not in your routing table
- Review the "Alternate Delivery Methods" within “Delivery Information” on the Place Order page to determine whether changing delivery methods may show additional libraries to which the request can route.
NOTE: To ensure that the request continues to route, borrowers should not request that lenders update for other reasons
Lenders who charge more than the maximum cost indicated on a request should reject the request as “not filled for cost.” The borrower may resubmit the request with increased maximum cost.
Last Reviewed: February 10, 2020