Donating Historical Materials to the National Library of Medicine
The History of Medicine Division (HMD) welcomes donations of historically significant medical material. If you wish to donate historical material, please contact us or fax a list of items, including author, title, format, and place and date of publication.
For more information on donating materials to the Images and Archives Collections of the National Library of Medicine, please see A Guide for Prospective Donors.
To find a book dealer to appraise your rare or out-of-print material, we suggest the following:
- The Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America publishes an annual membership directory. The ABAA Directory includes subject and geographical indices.
- Many book dealers maintain web sites, which can be found through your search engine.
- The American Book Trade Directory may also be helpful for book prices.
- Your Old Books is the late Peter Van Wingen’s useful guide to frequently asked questions about rare books and book values.
- You can also find an appraisal expert from American Society of Appraisers.
- For more suggestions, check the Library of Congress Rare Book and Special Collections Reading Room.
Note: The Library does not appraise manuscripts or other historical material.
Books and Journals
Margaret Kaiser, Acquisitions Librarian
Phone: (301) 301-827-4574
Fax: (301) 402-0872
Images, Films, and Archives
Rebecca Warlow, Head
Images and Archives
Phone: (301) 301-827-4593
Fax: (301) 402-7034