Recovery Priority during the first 24-48 hours:
- Dry items immediately. (If there are too many books to dry within 24 hours, then freeze them.)
- If coated papers are allowed to dry in contact with one another, then they will fuse together.
- Use a thin spatula to gently separate the pages that are beginning to stick.
- Do not attempt to separate pages if there is any resistance.
- Cover books with plastic to prevent partial drying until they can be frozen or salvaged.
- Keep weakened books intact; do not open text block or remove covers unless needed. Do not tightly compress items.