NLM VSAC Publishes Updated Electronic Clinical Quality Measure (eCQM) Value Sets for 4th Quarter 2017 Reporting Period for Hospital Quality Reporting Programs
On September 15, 2017, The National Library of Medicine (NLM) Value Set Authority Center (VSAC), in collaboration with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC), published an addendum to the eCQM annual update specifications originally published in April 2016. This addendum updates eCQM value sets for the 4th quarter of the 2017 reporting period for Eligible Hospitals (EHs) and Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs). These changes affect electronic reporting of eCQMs for the Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting Program (IQR) and for the Medicare Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program for EHs and CAHs.
- All changes to the 4th Quarter 2017 Reporting Period eCQM value sets are available through the NLM VSAC in the Download tab. The value sets and all their accompanying terminology codes are available as a complete set, as well as value sets per measure.
- eCQM addendum materials are available in the eCQI Resource Center for Eligible Hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals.
- Measure implementers should review these changes to ensure their submissions comply with the updated requirements.
CMS revised the value sets based on updates from the following terminology code systems:
- International Classification of Diseases, 10th Revision – Clinical Modification and Procedure Coding System (ICD-10-CM/PCS)
- Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes (LOINC®)
- SNOMED CT®
CMS has made no changes to the measure logic, the Health Quality Measure Format (HQMF) specifications, the value set object identifiers (OIDs), or the measure version numbers for 2017 eCQM reporting.
For More Information
Send your questions regarding the addendum or content of eCQM value sets, to the ONC CQM Issue Tracker available at //jira.oncprojectracking.org/browse/CQM/. For information about eCQM specifications and supplemental materials, visit the eCQI Resource Center. For VSAC functionality or questions about downloading eCQM value sets from VSAC, please Contact NLM.
VSAC Value Set Resources-- where to find the updated eCQM value sets
Access to the VSAC suite of tools requires a free Unified Medical Language System® Metathesaurus License.
- VSAC Downloadable Resources (recommended): Prepackaged downloads for the entire set of the most recently updated and released eCQM value sets, as well as for previously released versions. Accessible from the Download tab on the VSAC Web page.
- Application Programming Interface (API): Programmatically retrieve value sets. Find VSAC API documentation in the VSAC Support Center.
- VSAC Web Page: Browse and download specific eCQM value sets. Filter by specific CMS eCQM Release, CMS eCQM ID, or QDM Category. Accessible from the Search Value Sets tab on the VSAC Web page.
- Binding Parameter Specification (BPS): a metadata file that contains no terminology codes. The BPS provides a record of the value set metadata. Measure implementers can use the BPS to track versions and other parameters that define the value set code lists for each eCQM release. The BPS contains the same information as its predecessor, the discontinued Data Element Catalog (DEC), as well as additional parameters. The BPS replaces the DEC in all subsequent releases. (UMLS login not required)
Since its founding in 1836, the National Library of Medicine https://www.nlm.nih.gov has played a pivotal role in translating biomedical research into practice and is a leader in information innovation. NLM is the world's largest medical library, and millions of scientists, health professionals and the public around the world use NLM services every day.