National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
A third set of influences comes from the specific analytical goals of each health statistics study or survey.
They may aim to:
Each purpose sets different analytical requirements that shape what is collected, the analysis and how it is reported.
- Track change over time
- Identify new treats
- Establish a base line to measure changes
- Compare the conditions of groups
- Identify the etiology of disease
- Measure the presence of risk factors for disease
The impact of the variety of perspectives is to increase confidence in health statistics reports because:
- The variety of approaches is a source of robustness and
- The multiple sources provide cross validation—they help us to see if a particular set of facts is dependent on [and therefore subject to the limitations of one method] or robust [and therefore reflected in several approaches.]