Finding & Organizing NCBI Data for your Research Project
On February 22, 2022, the NCBI Education Team provided a workshop on Finding & Organizing NCBI Data for your Research Project. Training materials from this event are available on this page.
This workshop will provide some tips for new users of NCBI databases on how to effectively search databases and use an NCBI Account to organize key literature and biological data records. Shown in the context of finding helpful information for a new high school Advanced Placement or undergraduate biology student research project, we will take you step-by-step through how to find and store links to relevant citations as well as helpful organism, genome, gene, protein and 3D structure information.
In this online, interactive workshop you will learn how to:
- Effectively search NCBI databases
- Create and Use an NCBI account to:
- Save a search and set up weekly or monthly emails to notify of new results
- Store selected records from multiple databases for easy access later
- Find related information in different NCBI databases using links
- Impress a prospective research mentor
Keyboard controls: Space bar - toggle play/pause; Right and Left Arrow - seek the video forwards and back; Up and Down Arrow - increase and decrease the volume; M key - toggle mute/unmute; F key - toggle fullscreen off and on.
Return to NCBI Outreach Events.
Last Reviewed: February 15, 2022