Unified Medical Language System® (UMLS®)
These applications are part of the UMLS.
- MetamorphoSys is the UMLS installation wizard and UMLS customization tool included in each UMLS release. MetamorphoSys enables local installation of UMLS Metathesaurus, the Semantic Network and SPECIALIST Lexicon.
- UTS Metathesaurus Browser is a web interface for browsing UMLS concepts and relationships.
- UTS Semantic Network Browser is an interface for the UMLS Semantic Network - a set of broad subject categories, or semantic types, that provide a consistent categorization of all concepts represented in the UMLS, and a set of useful and important relationships, or semantic relations, that exist between semantic types.
- UMLS APIs provide programmatic access to the UMLS Metathesaurus.
Related NLM Applications
These NLM applications utilize UMLS data.
- SPECIALIST Natural Language Processing Tools facilitate natural language processing by helping application developers with lexical variation and text analysis tasks in the biomedical domain.
- UTS SNOMED CT Browser is a web interface for SNOMED CT.
- Value Set Authority Center (VSAC) provides downloadable access to all official versions of vocabulary value sets contained in the 2014 Clinical Quality Measures (CQMs). VSAC uses values from UMLS source vocabularies.
- MetaMap is program that maps biomedical text to the UMLS Metathesaurus and enables discovery of Metathesaurus concepts referred to in text.
- SemRep is a program that extracts semantic predications (subject-relation-object triples) from biomedical free text. Subject and object arguments of each predication are concepts from the UMLS Metathesaurus and the relation is a relation from the UMLS Semantic Network.
- MedlinePlus Connect links patient portals and electronic health record systems to MedlinePlus content using mappings from UMLS source codes.
- PubMed uses a mapping file from UMLS to aid in searching.
- ClinicalTrials.gov uses the UMLS to automatically add words related to those that searchers enter.
Over 20,000 individuals license UMLS data. Here are a few examples of applications that have integrated UMLS data and services.
- National Guidelines Clearinghouse, an AHRQ initiative, is a public resource for evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
- National Quality Measures Clearinghouse, sponsored by AHRQ, is a public repository for evidence-based quality measures and measure sets.
- NCI Thesaurus and Enterprise Vocabulary Services includes reference terminology and related vocabulary resources to help researchers, clinicians, and administrators identify types of cancer, treatments, and other cancer related topics.