Clinical Queries: Clinical Study Categories
The Clinical Study Categories are a specialized set of queries designed for clinicians. They are based on research done by R. Brian Haynes, M.D., Ph.D. at McMaster University in Canada.
Five study categories or filters are provided: .
- Therapy (default)
- Clinical prediction guides
Two scope filters are provided:
- Broad: Sensitive search – includes relevant citations but probably less relevant; will retrieve more (default)
- Narrow: Specific search – will get more precise, relevant citations but less retrieval
Using the rash fever example, let’s change the default filters on the Clinical Study Categories to Diagnosis with a Narrow scope.
- : Select the Category, Diagnosis
- : Select the Scope, Narrow. Notice the decrease in results.
- :Click See all to run the search in PubMed.
The video illustrates the directions that are on this page.
This video can be seen directly at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/disted/pubmedtutorial/videos/020_580.mp4
Last Reviewed: August 27, 2018