National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
Serving the Information Needs of the Health Services Research Community
HSR General Resources
- Data, Tools and Statistics
- HSR Social Media Resources
- Grants, Funding and Fellowships
- Education and Training
- Guidelines, Journals Other Publications
- Key Organizations
- Meetings, Conferences and Webinars
- State and State/Local Resources
- Aging Population Issues
- Child Health Services Research
- Community Benefit / Community Health Needs Assessment
- Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER)
- Dissemination and Implementation Science
- Domestic Violence -- New
- Evaluation Resources for Assessing HIT Systems and HIT Implementation, Adoption and Use
- Evidence-Based Practice and Health Technology Assessment
- Health Care Reform, Health Economics, and Health Policy
- Health Disparities
- Health Informatics
- Health Literacy and Cultural Competence
- Privacy/Security and Research with Electronic Health Records
- Public Health Services and Systems Research
- Rural Health
Grants, Funding and Fellowships
Links to fellowships, grants, and other funding opportunities.
- Debunk the Myths: Grant Application Video Series - (Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)) - This video series is aimed at assisting in grant applications
- Evidence for Action: Investigator-Initiated Research to Build a Culture of Health - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - The program will fund innovative studies to address the gaps in knowledge on health and well-being, with a particular focus health equity.
Fellowships in hsr.
- AHRQ's Career Development and Postdoctoral Training Awards for Comparative Effectiveness Research - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - AHRQ will support two types of institutional research training and career development grants in FY 2010. These projects will focus on preparing new investigators to conduct comparative effectiveness research.
- APHA Internships & Fellowships - (American Public Health Association (APHA)) - Both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible for unpaid APHA internships that offer practical work experience.
- APTR-CDC Fellowship Program - (Association for Prevention Teaching and Research (APTR)) - Fellowship opportunities in public health and preventive medicine interest areas are available with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) through the APTR Preventive Medicine and Public Health Fellowship Program.
- American College of Radiology Moorefield Fellowship in Economics & Health Policy - (American College of Radiology (ACR) US) - This fellowship ia a two-week program is designed to better inform residents about reimbursement and medical policy issues, including development of new CPT codes, the valuation process, national and local Medicare coverage of radiology and radiation oncology procedures, and coverage by third-party payers and managed care organizations.
- Applied Research Fellowships & Collaborative Research - (National Cancer Institute, NIH (NCI)) - Lists some of the mechanisms by which NCI has brought students and scientists in to work with them, including NIH research and training opportunities, the Division of Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program, and NIH Guest Researcher/Special Volunteer Programs.
- Clinical/Research Electives Program: Health Services Research - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This elective is intended for students who are interested in population-level health services research and disability-related public health issues. Previous coursework in research methods is helpful, but not required. Selection is based upon evidence of motivation to explore a breadth of topics included in health services research and appreciate potential policy implications. Applicants must possess good standing in medical school.
- Federal Training Programs in Comparative Effectiveness Research - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - Appendix B of a 2010 White Paper, Establishing an AHRQ Learning Collaborative, lists CER Federal Training Program. As background on the white paper, at the 2010 National Research Service Award (NRSA) meeting, directors of T32 training programs funded by AHRQ discussed the importance of sharing knowledge and working more closely together. To gain a better understanding of the unique needs, preferences, and challenges of AHRQ training programs with respect to achieving these goals, a brief initial survey involving 10 of the 18 training programs was conducted. To explore these themes in more detail, 15 semi-structured interviews were conducted (five each with program directors and pre- and postdoctoral trainees). Additionally, interviews were conducted with individuals with expertise in establishing and working with collaboratives. These experts represented: AcademyHealth, AHRQ, The Institute for Healthcare Improvement, the NEWMEDS Project, and the PCMH/MU (Patient-Centered Medical Home/Meaningful Use) Collaborative. Applying a conceptual framework developed from a literature review of collective learning, themes were identified and consolidated as they emerged.
- Fellowship Opportunities - (Commonwealth Fund) - Commonwealth Fund fellowship programs are designed to give promising young researchers the opportunity for in-depth study of various health care policy topics, working with investigators, policy analysts, government officials, and others in a number of U.S. and international settings.
- Fellowships - Included here is the Louis Stokes Urban Health Public Policy Fellows Program, a policy training and leadership development program that targets early to mid-level policy professionals who are committed to eliminating health disparities.
- HHS Health Policy Fellowship - (Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE)) - Fellowship opportunity in the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion's (ODPHP) Division of Health Care Quality within the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health (OASH), Office of the Secretary (OS), at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) in Rockville, MD. The participant will gain professional experience in a health policy setting.
- NACCHO Career Network - (National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO)) - Interactive job board for online employment connections with a focus on local health departments and public health professions. Employers can post jobs online and search for qualified candidates. Job seekers can learn about employers and employment opportunities in public health, post resumes, browse and view available jobs.
- NRSA Primary Care Research Fellowship - (Cecil G. Sheps Center for Health Services Research) - Trains primary care physicians for academic careers with an emphasis on research.
- Robert Wood Johnson Health Policy Fellowships - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - Opportunity for experienced health professionals and behavioral and social scientists from academic faculties and nonprofit healthcare organizations to receive a comprehensive orientation with the nation's preeminent health policy leaders followed by a full-time work assignment on Capital Hill.
- Senior Scholar in Residence Program - (AcademyHealth) - This fellowship program is directed at senior scholars, and is intended to offer participants the opportunity to work on AcademyHealth programs in Washington, D.C.
- Systems Science Scholarship - (AcademyHealth) - March 11, 2016. Applications are being accepted for this travel scholarship.
- The Commonwealth Fund Mongan Fellowship in Minority Health Policy - (Commonwealth Fund) - This Fellowship is designed to prepare for physicians for leadership roles in formulating and promoting health policies and practices that improve the access to high quality care at the national, state, and/or local levels for the minority, disadvantaged, and most vulnerable populations.
- VA National Quality Scholars - (Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy & Clinical Practice US, Veterans Health Administration US) - Mission is to offer scholars opportunities to be leaders who can apply knowledge and methods of health care improvement to the care of veterans; innovate and continually improve health care; teach health professionals about health care improvement; and, perform research and develop new knowledge for the ongoing improvement of the quality and value of health care services.
- Accountable Health Communities Model - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - CMS will implement and test a three-track model based on promising service delivery approaches in the areas of Awareness, Assistance, and Alignment. 44 cooperative agreements will be awarded in these areas.
- Advances in Patient Safety through Simulation Research (R18) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - Funding is available for projects that develop, test and evaluate various simulation approaches for the purpose of improving the safe delivery of health care.
- Advancing Medical Device Postmarket Surveillance Infrastructure and Epidemiologic Methodologies through Multi-stakeholder Partnership (U01) - (Food and Drug Administration (FDA)) - This grant would support implementation of a National Medical Device Postmarket Surveillance System.
- Advancing Patient Safety Implementation through Safe Medication Use Research (R18) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - This opportunity examines patient safety and medication research by focusing on the safe usage of medications.
- AHRQ Conference Grant Program (R13) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - AHRQ has announced a grant, aimed at supporting conferences focused on improving the quality, safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of health care.
- AHRQ Funding Opportunities - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - AHRQ supports a broad base of scientific research to promote improvements in clinical and health system practices, including the prevention of diseases and other health conditions.
- AHRQ Grants for Health Services Research Dissertation Program (R36) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ))
- AHRQ Health Services Research Demonstration and Dissemination Grants (R18) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - This award made to an institution/organization to support a discrete, specified health services research project.
- AHRQ Health Services Research Projects (R01) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - This award is made to an institution/organization to support a discrete, specified health services research project.
- AHRQ Health Services Research Projects: Making Health Care Safer in Ambulatory Care Settings and Long Term Care Facilities (R01) - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - This funding opportunity will support research projects that examine the epidemiology of patient safety in ambulatory care settings and long term care facilities.
- AHRQ's Grants Online Database - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - Acess all of AHRQ's projects from this database.
- Applied Research Funding Opportunities - (National Cancer Institute, NIH (NCI)) - Lists funding opportunities within ARP that are directed towards the extramural research community focus on building capacity for cancer surveillance research to evaluate patterns and trends in cancer-related risk factors, health behaviors and health services.
- Big Data to Knowledge Funding Opportunities - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - Current funding opportunities from NIH Big Data to Knowledge (BD2K) are listed on this website.
- Bioengineering Research Grants (BRG) (R01) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This grant encourages collaborations between the life and physical sciences to: 1) apply a multidisciplinary bioengineering approach to the solution of a biomedical problem; and 2) integrate, optimize, validate, translate or otherwise accelerate the adoption of promising tools, methods and techniques for a specific research or clinical problem in basic, translational, or clinical science and practice.
- Biomedical and Behavioral Research Innovations to Ensure Equity (BRITE) in Maternal and Child Health (R15) - (Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, NIH (NICHD)) - Funding is available for health equity research related to NICHD mission areas including: preterm birth; infant mortality; sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS); maternal mortality; reproductive health; uterine fibroid tumors; childhood, adolescent, and/or adult obesity; violence prevention; perinatal HBV and HIV/AIDS prevention; HIV/AIDS prevention; asthma; intellectual and developmental disabilities; pediatric injury prevention; and medical rehabilitation.
- Biomedical Technology Research Resource (P41) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This grant funds research and development on new technologies and instruments driven by the needs of basic, translational, and clinical researchers.
- Cancer Control & Population Sciences Funding Opportunities - (National Cancer Institute, NIH (NCI)) - Cancer control funding opportunities including research involving surveillance, epidemiology, health services, behavioral science and cancer survivorship.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) - (U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) US) - Government-wide compendium of all federal programs, projects, services, and activities that provide assistance or benefits to the American public. Users can contact the office that administers a program for application instructions.
- CDC's Procurement and Grants Office - (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)) - Information on grants and business opportunities with the CDC.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid (CMS) Grant Opportunities - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - This website provides access to CMS Research & Demonstration grants, for example, the Hispanic Health Services Research grant program and the Historically Black Colleges and Universities grant.
- Community Partnerships to Advance Research (CPAR) (R01) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This funding opportunity announcement encourages researchers to partner with communities using Community Engaged Research methodologies that will enhance relationships leading to better interventions and positive health outcome.
- Community Partnerships to Advance Research (CPAR) (R15) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This funding opportunity announcement encourages researchers to partner with communities using Community Engaged Research methodologies that will enhance relationships leading to better interventions and positive health outcomes.
- Community Partnerships to Advance Research (CPAR) (R21) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This funding opportunity announcement seeks to encourage researchers to partner with communities using Community Engaged Research methodologies that will enhance relationships leading to better interventions and positive health outcomes.
- Department of Veterans Affairs Health Services Research & Development Funding - (Health Services Research and Development Service, Veterans Administration (HSR&D)) - This page provides information on Veterans Administration HSR&D funding programs and research solicitations.
- DOD Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs - (Department of Defense (DoD) U.S.) - Provides a brief description and key elements of all award mechanisms.
- Enhancing post-market surveillance through developing registries for medical device epidemiology (U01) - (Food and Drug Administration (FDA)) - This grant would support efforts to address identified gaps in the current postmarket surveillance system by developing new methodologies for registry data collection and linkage.
- Funding Announcements - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - AHRQ grant offerings for programmatic research priority areas are listed on this website.
- Grants.gov - (Grants.gov) - Searchable information from all Federal grant-making agencies.
- Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA) - (Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)) - Comprising six bureaus and 12 offices, HRSA provides leadership and financial support to health care providers in every state and U.S. territory. HRSA grantees provide health care to uninsured people, people living with HIV/AIDS, and pregnant women, mothers and children. They train health professionals and improve systems of care in rural communities.
- Hispanic Health Services Research Grant Program - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - The purpose of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services' Hispanic Grant Program is to implement Hispanic American health services research activities to meet the needs of diverse CMS beneficiary populations.
- How to Apply for a HRSA Grant - (Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)) - This site is an online technical assistance resource, offering webinars, application and submission guidance, as well as tips for writing successful proposals to HRSA.
- Indian Health Services (IHS) Divisions of Grants Management - (Indian Health Service (IHS)) - Grant opportunities within the IHS.
- Modeling Social Behavior (R01) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This FO would support the development and testing of theories and computational, mathematical, or engineering approaches to deepen our understanding of complex social behavior.
- National Institutes of Health Grants and Funding Opportunities - Extensive information about grants, research funding, and policies. Please scroll to bottom of Grants and Funding page for specific information on NIH HSR Funding Opportunities, PAs and RFAs.
- New Funding Announcements - ONC - (Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, HHS (ONC))
- NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts - Link to the NIH Guide for grants and contracts.
- NIH Office of Extramural Research Grants and Funding - Provides links to funding opportunities as well as grant application basics.
- NIH Support for Conferences and Scientific Meetings (R13 and U13) - The NIH recognizes the value of supporting scientific meetings that are relevant to its scientific mission and to the public health. A scientific meeting is defined as a gathering, symposium, seminar, conference, workshop, or any other organized, formal meeting where persons assemble to coordinate, exchange, and disseminate information or to explore or clarify a defined subject, problem, or area of knowledge.
- NLM Extramural Programs: Career Development and Training Support - (National Library of Medicine (NLM) U.S.) - Links to NLM extramural grant programs, including career development and training support.
- Research on the Health Determinants and Consequences of Violence and its Prevention, Particularly Firearm Violence (R01) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This funding opportunity spans across the missions of several NIH Institutes, Centers, and Offices.
- Research on the Health Determinants and Consequences of Violence and its Prevention, Particularly Firearm Violence (R21) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This funding opportunity spans across the missions of several NIH Institutes, Centers, and Offices.
- Research Project Grant (Parent R01) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - Support is offered for a researcher-suggested study that is related to the programmatic interests of one or more of the participating NIH Institutes and Centers.
- Structural Interventions, Alcohol Use, and Risk of HIV/AIDS (R21) - (National Institutes of Health (NIH)) - This grant supports investigations into effectiveness of structural interventions aimed at reducing the risk of HIV/AIDS transmission by changing the environment of alcohol use.
- Alliance for Healthcare Foundation Funding - (Alliance Healthcare Foundation US) - Alliance Healthcare Foundation's grant-making activities focus strategically on funding organizations whose programs benefit those under 250% of poverty, the uninsured and underinsured, children and the homeless.
- Commonwealth Fund Information for Grant Seekers - (Commonwealth Fund) - The Fund supports independent research on health and social issues and makes grants to improve health care practice and policy. We are dedicated to helping people become more informed about their health care and improving care for vulnerable populations such as children, the elderly, low-income families, minorities, and the uninsured.
- David and Lucile Packard Foundation - The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is a private foundation located in California that invests in and takes smart risks with innovative people and organizations to improve the lives of children, enable the creative pursuit of science, advance reproductive health, and conserve and restore earth's natural systems.
- Eugene Washington PCORI Engagement Awards - (Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) US) - Applications are being accepted for the Knowledge Awards, Training and Development Awards, and the Dissemination Awards,
- Funding Opportunities: RWJF - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - The latest information from RWJF.
- Improving Healthcare Systems - Cycle 3 2015 - (Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) US) - Funding is available for research which studies the comparative effectiveness of alternative features of healthcare systems.
- Investigator Awards in Health Policy Research - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - Investigator Awards in Health Policy Research supports researchers whose crosscutting and innovative ideas promise to contribute meaningfully to improving health and health care policy. The program provides one of the few funding opportunities in the United States for investigator-initiated projects that are broad in scope, innovative in approach, and have national policy relevance.
- J-PAL State and Local Innovation Initiative - (Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (J-PAL)) - The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is soliciting applicants for funding to support the use of randomized evaluations regarding the efficacy of program functions.
- Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation Grants - The Foundation provides grant support in areas that include education for the care of underserved populations.
- New Investigator Small Grant Program - (AcademyHealth) - The grant is designed to support the early careers of new health services researchers.
- PCORI Funding Awards - (Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) US) - Available in a map or pdf format, the website provides a listing of currently open PCORI funding awards.
- PCORnet Initiative on Health Plan/System Data Partnerships - (Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) US) - PCORI will fund two health plans as part of PCORnet. The full announcement is available.
- Pew Charitable Trusts Health Overview - Pew invests in programmatic work to solve today's most challenging problems including improving policy, informing the public and stimulating civic life.
- Pioneering Ideas: Submitting a Brief Proposal - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - Submissions are accepted throughout the year for this program, which is part of the RWJF Culture of Health.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Grants - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation provides grants for projects that advance their mission to improve the health and health care of all Americans.
- RWJF Awards for Health Equity: 2016 Call for Applications - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - Information about the application process for the grant, and on the February 24th, 2016 applicant web conference.
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation Grantseeking Information - (W.K. Kellogg Foundation (WKKF) U.S.) - Health programming focuses explicitly on improving individual and community health, and improving access to and the quality of health care.
- William B. Graham Prize for Health Services Research - (Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA), Baxter International Foundation US) - The Baxter International Foundation has created The William B. Graham Prize for Health Services Research. The $50,000 annual award will be administered by The Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) and given to a researcher who has made contributions to improving the health of the public worldwide. Specifically, the award will recognize health services research that has a lasting impact on the healthcare system and the way healthcare is delivered.
- William T. Grant Foundation - The Foundation supports work to improve the settings of youth ages 8 to 25 in the United States. It funds research, and service improvements that emphasize understanding and improving youth's everyday settings such as families, peer groups, schools, youth-serving organizations, and neighborhoods.
- California Endowment Grants and Program Investments - The California Endowment makes grants to organizations and institutions that directly benefit the health and well-being of Californians. Support is provided to nonprofit organizations with a valid tax exemption status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and that are classified as a public charity and not as a "private foundation" under Section 509(a). If a proposal is from an unincorporated collaboration or community project, tax exemption verification and a letter of agreement signed by a lead applicant agency that is eligible for funding are required.
- California HealthCare Foundation Grants - (California HealthCare Foundation (CHCF)) - This resource is designed to assist applicants and grantees by providing guidelines, answers to frequently asked questions, and related forms.
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Funding Overview - CIHR provides funding opportunities for four themes of health research including health systems services, social, cultural, environmental and population health.
- Colorado Trust - The Trust issues requests for proposals (RFP) and welcomes responses from nonprofit organizations and governmental entities across Colorado.
- Funding Opportunities - (National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI))
- New York State Department of Health Grants and Funding Opportunities - (New York State Department of Health) - listing of opportunities offered by the Department
- Rural Funding Opportunities - (Rural Assistance Center (RAC)) - Summaries of funding programs provided by RAC.
- United Hospital Fund Grants Center - The Fund supports the development of model projects, sponsors research to analyze systemic problems, and fosters innovative solutions. Beneficiaries of the Fund's grants include not-for-profit and public hospitals, nursing homes, and health care, academic, and public interest organizations.
Specific opportunities relating to HSR
National Cancer Institute, NIH (NCI)
National Collaborative on Childhood Obesity Research (NCCOR)
- NCCOR Funding Opportunities - This website provides links to funding opportunities generated by NCCOR members and others, such as universities and nonprofit organizations
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Extramural Loan Repayment Program for Health Disparities Research (LRP-HDR): Program Specific Information
National Library of Medicine (NLM) U.S.
Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research, NIH (OBSSR)
Resources for grantmakers and others seeking expertise and information on the field of health philanthropy.
- Association for Healthcare Philanthropy - Dedicated exclusively to advancing and promoting the health care development profession. Provides fundraising education and information.
- Finding Funders - (The Foundation Center) - Provides grantseekers with several ways to find funders.
- Foundation Center - (Foundation Center) - The Center provides information for grantseekers, grantmakers, researchers, policymakers, the media, and the general public.
- Grantmakers in Health - Nonprofit, educational organization dedicated to helping foundations and corporate giving programs improve the health of all people. Its mission is to foster communication and collaboration among grantmakers and others, and to help strengthen the grantmaking community's knowledge, skills, and effectiveness.