National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
Serving the Information Needs of the Health Services Research Community
- Aging Population Issues
- Child Health Services Research
- Community Benefit / Community Health Needs Assessment
- Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER)
- Dissemination and Implementation Science
- Domestic Violence -- New
- Evaluation Resources for Assessing HIT Systems and HIT Implementation, Adoption and Use
- Evidence-Based Practice and Health Technology Assessment
- Health Care Reform, Health Economics, and Health Policy
- Health Disparities
- Health Informatics
- Health Literacy and Cultural Competence
- Privacy/Security and Research with Electronic Health Records
- Public Health Services and Systems Research
- Rural Health
HSR General Resources
- 2015 Edition Health Information Technology (Health IT) Certification Criteria, 2015 Edition Base Electronic Health Record (EHR) Definition, and ONC Health IT Certification Program Modifications - (Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, HHS (ONC)) - This document expands on prior editions of the health IT certification criteria, and adds new and updated functionalities and provision to support the EHR Incentive Program.
- AcademyHealth Advocacy - (AcademyHealth) - As noted on its website, AcademyHealth strives to improve health and health care by advocating for 1) increased federal funding for health services research, 2) better access to data and information to use in research, and 3) more transparent dissemination of research results.
- At the Intersection of Health, Health Care and Policy: the Legislative Battle over Health Services Research - (Health Affairs, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - This 1992 essay by BH Gray, published in Health Affairs [11, No.4 (1992):38-66], examines the 1989 legislation that created the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (now known as the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality - AHRQ). Political complexities are examined. Additional information is available from http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/11/4/38.
- Behavioral Health Services - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - Legislation related to Medicaid/CHIP and behavioral health services, including the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act, which became a final rule in March, 2016.
- CMS Office of Legislation - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - The CMS Office of Legislation serves as a liaison and resource for the U.S. Congress to explain the polices, payment systems, and operations of the Medicare, Medicaid, and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP). The Office of Legislation responds to inquiries from Members of Congress and Congressional Committees.
- Federal Register: Health & Public Welfare Searches - (Government Publishing Office (GPO) US, Office of the Federal Register (OFR) of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) US) - This site links directly to searches related to health and public welfare, for example, health care reform, electronic health information technology, controlled substances, etc. Note that each day ederal agencies publish numerous documents (articles) in the Federal Register, including proposed rules, final rules, public notices, and Presidential actions.
- GovTrack - (Civic Impluse, LLC) - An independent tool to help the public research and track the activities in the U.S. Congress.
- Government Technology - (U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) US) - Link to government technology news articles, magazine, and resources.
- Health Care, Medicare, ACA, HIPPA & OIG Law News - (National Law Forum, LLC US) - The National Law Review is a free resource of health care legal articles addressing regulatory developments, contractual obligations and disputes for both profit and not for profit health care organizations.
- Health Information & The Law - (George Washington University Hirsh Health Law and Policy Program US, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - A project of the George Washington University's Hirsh Health Law and Policy Program, Health Information and the Law (HealthInfoLaw.org), developed with support from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, is designed to serve as a practical online resource to federal and state laws governing access, use, release, and publication of health information. Constantly updated, the site addresses the current legal and regulatory framework of health information law and changes in the legal and policy landscape impacting health information law and its implementation with commentary and key documents.
- Health Services Research Advocacy Tools - (AcademyHealth) - This page links to AcademyHealth's advocacy tools that enable one to stay informed about the latest in health services research policy, to explore the current legislation, or to spread the word about a specific bill/issue.
- Legislation and Congressional Activities - (National Cancer Institute, NIH (NCI)) - Allows users to learn about recent events on the Hill as they relate to cancer research, or check the status of pending legislation and find out about hearings of interest to cancer research and advocacy communities.
- Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Electronic Health Record Incentive Program - Stage 3 and Modifications to Meaningful Use in 2015 through 2017 - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - This final rule specifies the requirements that eligible professionals and hospitals must meet in order to qualify for Medicare and Medicaid electronic health record incentive payments.
- National Conference of State Legislatures Health Reform: Health Information Technology - (National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL)) - This website provides access to a health information technology legislative tracking database as well as other resources and webinars related to health information technology.
- Regulations.gov - U.S. Government Web site to find, view, and comment on regulations and other actions for all Federal agencies. The site facilitates participation in the federal regulatory process by improving the public's ability to find, view, and comment on federal regulatory actions.
- The Federal Register - (National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) U.S.) - The Office of the Federal Register (OFR) provides access to the official text of federal laws, presidential documents, and to administrative regulations and notices.
- The Green Book (Official Title: Background Material and Data on the Programs within the Jurisdiction of the Committee on Ways and Means) - (U.S. House of Representatives) - The House Ways and Means Committee Green Book, The Green Book published by the The Green Book published by the Committee on Ways and Means of the United States House of Representatives provides background material and data on the programs within the jursidiction of the Committee on Ways and Means.
- Thomas - (Library of Congress) - Federal legislative information including bill summary status, bill text, public laws by law number, Congressional Record text, House and Senate Committee information.
- USA.Gov - One-stop link to U.S. government agencies and information.
- CDC Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Online Tools - (Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention, CDC (DHDSP)) - The Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention has developed several online tools related to heart disease and stroke prevention data trends, policy, and training pieces for states.
- California and Texas: Section 1115 Medicaid Demonstration Waivers Compared - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - This fact sheet compares and contrasts key provisions of the California and Texas Section 1115 Medicaid demonstration waivers. The Texas waiver, approved in December 2011, is modeled, in part, on the California waiver, which has been underway in that state since November 2010. Both waivers affect hundreds of thousands of Medicaid beneficiaries, involve billions of federal Medicaid matching funds, and are designed, in part, to promote changes in the health care delivery system that will result in better care for individuals, better population health, and reductions in costs through system improvements. They have a number of key similarities and differences as summarized in the side-by-side table within this fact sheet. These 5-year demonstrations are approved under section 1115 of the Social Security Act, which authorizes the Secretary of Health and Human Services to waive certain federal Medicaid requirements to enable states to conduct demonstrations with federal Medicaid funds.
- Council of State Governments Health Policy Group - (Council of State Governments (CSG) US) - The Health Policy Group provides policy analysis and innovative programming for state health policy leaders in the legislative and executive branches.
- Health Services Research as a Source of Legislative Analysis and Input: The Role of the California Health Benefits Review Program (2006) - Article examining the role of the California Health Benefits Review Program as a source of information in state health policy making.
- Healthcare Reform - Affordable Care Act Legislative Database - (National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL)) - This website enables one to search bills filed in response to the Affordable Care Act including the latest state measures being considered during 2014 sessions.
- LawAtlas: Policy Surveillance Portal - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - This is a gateway to key laws aimed at improving our health or access to health care. It includes interactive maps, policy surveillance reports, and downloadable data.
- State Cancer Legislative Database (SCLD) - (MayaTech Corporation) - Database of state cancer-related health policy that can serve as a resource for research and analysis of legislation affecting cancer prevention and control.
- State Health Insurance Exchange Legislation: A Progress Report - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - The Affordable Care Act requires each state to establish by 2014 a health insurance exchange where individuals and small businesses can purchase affordable health insurance plans. This document provides a progress report.