National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
Serving the Information Needs of the Health Services Research Community
HSR General Resources
- Data, Tools and Statistics
- HSR Social Media Resources
- Grants, Funding and Fellowships
- Education and Training
- Guidelines, Journals Other Publications
- Key Organizations
- Meetings and Conferences
- State and State/Local Resources
- Aging Population Issues
- Child Health Services Research
- Community Benefit / Community Health Needs Assessment
- Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER)
- Dissemination and Implementation Science
- Domestic Violence -- New
- Evaluation Resources for Assessing HIT Systems and HIT Implementation, Adoption and Use
- Evidence-Based Practice and Health Technology Assessment
- Health Care Reform, Health Economics, and Health Policy
- Health Disparities
- Health Informatics
- Health Literacy and Cultural Competence
- Privacy/Security and Research with Electronic Health Records
- Public Health Services and Systems Research
- Rural Health
- HSRProj (Health Services Research Projects in Progress): Projects on Rural Health - (National Library of Medicine (NLM) U.S.)
- PubMed : Search for Rural Health - (National Library of Medicine (NLM) U.S.)
- Rationalizing Rural Area Classifications for the Economic Research Service: A Workshop (2015)--13-NOV-2015 - (National Academy of Medicine (NAM)) - The results of an April 2015 workshop, which examined the classifications of rural areas currently in use by the Economic Research Service.
- Small Rural Hospital Improvement Grant Program (SHIP)--03-NOV-2015 - (Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)) - The purpose of the SHIP is to help small rural hospitals of 49 beds or less, do any or all of the following: 1) enable the purchase of equipment and/or training to help hospitals attain value-based purchasing provision in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA); 2) aid small rural hospitals in joining or becoming accountable care organizations, or create shared savings programs per the ACA; and 3) enable small rural hospitals to purchase health information technology, equipment, and/or training to comply with meaningful use, ICD-10 standards, and payment bundling.
data, tools, statistics, etc. related to rural health and HSR.
- The 2014 Update of the Rural-Urban Chartbook - (Rural Health Reform Policy Research Center (RHRPRC) USA) - This chartbook presents statistical data on population demographics, health risk factors, age-specific and cause-specific mortality, access to care, health insurancecoverage, and mental health for urban and rural populations.
- Community Health Needs Assessment Toolkit (2012) - (Oklahoma State University, National Center for Rural Health Works USA) - Designed for state level professionals, this toolkit facilitates the community health assessment process in rural hospitals at no or low cost to the hospitals.
- Community Paramedicine Evaluation Tool (2012) - (Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)) - This tool was developed to assist EMT's and Paramedics to assist in the evaluation of underutilized resources to underserved populations
- Dissemination of Rural Health Research: A Toolkit - (Rural Health Research Gateway USA) - This toolkit is designed to assist researchers in reaching their target audiences through the development of appropriate, timely, accessible, and applicable products.
- Federal Economic Development Funding - (U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) US) - Table of the urban-rural continuum and modified RUCA Codes for all counties in the United States.
- Finding Statistics and Data Related to Rural Health - (Rural Assistance Center (RAC)) - Access to sites provides rural health statistics and data.
- The Health and Well-Being of Children in Rural Areas: A Portrait of States and the Nation 2011-2012 - (Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)) - This chartbook provides indicators of the health and well-being of children, the supportive and risk factors in the family environment, and aspects of the neighborhood that may support or threaten families and children in rural settings.
- HSRR (Health Services and Sciences Research Resources) - (National Library of Medicine, National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology) - HSRR is a searchable database of information about research datasets, instruments/indices and software employed in Health Services Research, the Behavioral and Social Sciences and Public Health. The database includes brief descriptions of research resources and links to PubMed.
- National Healthcare Quality and Disparities: Chartbook on Rural Health Care 2014 - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - This chartbook, part of the National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Report series, examines: residents of rural areas, trends in health care quality and disparities for rural populations, access and quality measures for rural populations.
- Resources for Critical Access Hospitals and Small Rural Hospitals - (Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, HHS (ONC)) - Designed for rural hospitals, this toolkit discusses the benefits of health IT and helps hospitals to take the first step toward implementation and attaining meaningful use.
- Rural Health Topics - (United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)) - Links to general rural health resources as well as informational topic pages on specific rural health issues. Includes data, best practices, and case studies.
- 4th Annual Leadership Summit on Telehealth and Remote Patient Monitoring - (World Congress) - The meeting will be held January 27-28, 2016 in Atlanta GA.
- Calendar & Events - (National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH) USA) - This website provides a calendar, with links to upcoming webinars and programs.
- The Power of Partnership in Research: Improving Healthcare Outcomes in Rural Settings - (Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) US) - A webcast of the meeting, held March 9, 2013 - March 10, 2013 is available
- Rural Health Webcast: Laying the Foundation for Health Reform - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - Webcast Briefing sponsored by the Alliance for Health Reform and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Experts answer questions about how some aspects of pending health reform proposals may have a substantial impact on rural care. What provisions in the various reform proposals affect rural health care? What particular challenges need to be overcome in order to improve care delivery in rural areas? What aspects of health reform will require special accommodation in rural areas? Are delivery systems in rural areas currently able to handle the influx of new patients coverage expansion would bring? How does HIT factor into rural reform?
Rural health services research-related guidelines, journals, and other publications.
- The Aging of the Rural Primary Care Physician Workforce: Will Some Locations Be More Affected than Others? - (University of Washington) - This study looks at the potentials for fewer available primary care physicians, especially in areas with lower population density and lower socioeconomic status.
- Agricultural Health Training for Rural America (2013) - (West Virginia Rural Health Research Center) - This study locates agricultural health programs and courses and describes collaborations that exist between clinicians and agriculture-related agencies.
- Conducting Rural Health Research, Needs Assessment, and Program Evaluation - (Rural Assistance Center (RAC)) - This new guide from the Rural Assistance Center provides an overview of rural health research, needs assessments, and program evaluation, with tools and resources to support these activities.
- Publications: NC Rural Health Research Program - (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC)) - Publications from the NC Rural Health Research Center examine various aspects of health disparities affecting rural populations.
- The Role of Telehealth in an Evolving Health Care Environment - Workshop Summary - (National Academy of Medicine (NAM)) - In a workshop held August 8-9, 2012, the use of telemedicine as a means to extend quality healthcare to isolated areas of the country was investigated.
- Rural Economy and Population - Briefs from USDA - (United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)) - Find a variety of briefs from the Economic Research Service at the USDA, including Rural Wealth Creation, Health Status and Health Care Access of Farm and Rural Populations, etc.
- Rural Emergency Preparedness and Response - (Rural Assistance Center (RAC)) - This webpage has assembled a selection of links concerning rural emergency preparedness and response.
- Rural vs. Urban Ambulatory Health Care Review - (Health Services Research and Development Service, Veterans Administration (HSR&D)) - This systematic literature review examines the evidence regarding potential disparities between rural and urban areas in health care provision and delivery, and how differences in health care may contribute to disparities in health outcomes.
Key organizations and programs in rural health.
- Federal Office of Rural Health Policy (ORHP) - (Federal Office of Rural Health Policy) - Promotes better health care service in rural America.
- Flex Monitoring Team - (Federal Office of Rural Health Policy) - The Rural Health Research Centers at the Universities of Minnesota, North Carolina-Chapel Hill, and Southern Maine (the Flex Monitoring Team), are the recipients of a 5-year cooperative agreement award from the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy to continue to monitor and evaluate the Medicare Rural Hospital Flexibility Grant Program (Flex Program). The monitoring project is assessing the impact of the Flex Program on Critical Access Hospitals and their communities and the role of states in achieving overall program objectives.
- National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH) - NOSORH was created in 1995 by State Offices of Rural Health to promote a healthy rural America through state and community leadership.
- National Rural Health Association - National nonprofit membership organization with more than 18,000 members. The association's mission is to provide leadership on rural health issues.
- Office of Rural Health, Veterans Health Administration - (Health Services Research and Development Service, Veterans Administration (HSR&D)) - Conducts, coordinates, promotes, and disseminates studies and analyses into issues affecting Veterans living in rural and highly rural areas, in cooperation with the medical, rehabilitation, health services and cooperative studies research programs.
- Rural Assistance Center - (Rural Assistance Center (RAC)) - The Rural Assistance Center (RAC) is a national resource on rural health and human services information. Information specialists are available to provide customized assistance for rural topics and funding resources, links users to organizations and furnish relevant publications from the RAC resource library.
- Rural Health - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - Links to AHRQ evidence reports, activities, and data on rural health.
- Rural Health Research Gateway - Federal program that is dedicated entirely to producing policy-relevant research on health care in rural areas. Initiated in 1988, it is administered by the Office of Rural Health Policy (ORHP), Health Resources and Services Administration.
- The Rural Information Center (RIC) - (United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)) - Provides services for rural communities, local officials, organizations, businesses and rural citizens working to maintain the vitality of America's rural areas.
- Rural Policy Research Institute (RUPRI) Center for Rural Health Policy Analysis - (University of Iowa College of Public Health USA) - Provides unbiased analysis and information on the challenges, needs, and opportunities facing rural America.