Unified Medical Language System® (UMLS®)
UMLS News and Announcements
Two New Subsets Available for Download
September 22, 2015
Two new subsets are available for download:
- Radiology 1 Procedure Subset - A new Convergent Medical Terminology (CMT) subset is now available. This subset contains 408 concepts which Kaiser Permanente uses to place Radiology orders. The release also includes mappings to Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) and is based on the January 2014 International Release of SNOMED CT.
- SNOMED CT Route of Administration (ROA) Subset - The ROA subset is a listing of the current set of terms related to the location of administration for clinical therapies. The purpose of the ROA subset is to define a SNOMED CT subset which can be used in the Drug Listings section of the Structured Product Labeling (SPL), or for documentation and encoding of clinical information regarding substance administration. This updated subset is derived from the September 2015 US Edition of SNOMED CT and includes three new concepts.
Two New SNOMED CT Cooperative Project Releases
September 8, 2015
- Baseline Release of the SNOMED CT to ICNP Cooperative Project - The International Classification of Nursing Practice (ICNP) to SNOMED CT nursing diagnoses (problems) equivalency table is a product of ongoing work carried out under a preexisting collaboration agreement between the International Council of Nurses (ICN) and the IHTSDO. The release is a baseline release and aligned to the July 2015 SNOMED CT International release. For those interested in the equivalency table, please contact the IHTSDO. Please Notes: The Candidate Baseline is distributed for evaluation purposes only and should not be used in production clinical systems or in the clinical setting. Question and comments on this release should be directed to the IHTSDO with “SNOMED CT to ICNP Cooperative Project Baseline” in the subject line.
- Updated Technology Preview of the LOINC-SNOMED CT Cooperative Project - A second release of the Technology Preview of the LOINC-SNOMED CT Cooperative Project is now available. This release includes both the LOINC Term to SNOMED CT Expression reference set and the LOINC Part to SNOMED CT Map reference set. This Technology Preview is dependent upon, and should be evaluated in the context of the July 2015 SNOMED CT International Release. This release is distributed in RF2, OWL, and human readable formats. The IHTSDO would like to receive feedback on these releases; please provide feedback by November 16, 2015 via the web form. Please note: These release files do not represent a set of data ready for clinical use within a system. These release files have been made available for review and evaluation purposes only.
September 2015 US Edition of SNOMED CT Available for Download
September 1, 2015
The September 2015 US Edition of SNOMED CT is now available for download. In addition to 991 new concepts specific to the US, the September 2015 US Edition of SNOMED CT also contains all of the content from the July 2015 International Release of SNOMED CT. The US Edition of SNOMED CT is the official source of SNOMED CT for use in US healthcare systems.
Please note, that similar to the International release, the US Edition RF1 and RF2 release files are now available as two separate downloads. The IHTSDO has announced the deprecation and withdrawal of support for RF1 format. The plan and timeline can be reviewed on the IHTSDO News page. NLM will align with the deprecation timeline for the US Edition RF1 release.
Updated CORE Problem List Subset of SNOMED CT
August 27, 2015
The updated Clinical Observations Recording and Encoding (CORE) Problem List Subset is now available for download. The purpose of the UMLS CORE Project is to define a UMLS subset that is useful for documentation and encoding of clinical information at a summary level, such as a problem list, discharge diagnosis or reason for encounter. This updated subset is based on the July 2015 International Release of SNOMED CT and the 2015AA UMLS Release.
Two New CMT Subsets Available for Download
August 13, 2015
Two new Convergent Medical Terminology (CMT) release files are available for download:
- Endocrine, Nephrology and Urology - This problem list subset update includes concepts that Kaiser Permanente uses within the Endocrine, Nephrology, and Urology Problem Lists. There are 1,752 concepts in the file and includes mappings to ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM. SNOMED CT concepts are based on the January 31, 2014 International Release.
- Vaccinations - This procedure list subset includes concepts that Kaiser Permanente clinicians use to place Vaccination orders. There are 92 concepts in the file and includes mappings to Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes. SNOMED CT concepts are based on the January 31, 2014 International Release.