RxNorm Release Notes
June Release - 6/01/2020
This full release of RxNorm is consistent with the 2020AA UMLS Metathesaurus release. For additional information about RxNorm releases, including scripts for loading the RxNorm data into Oracle and MySQL databases, read the RxNorm Technical Documentation.
The following sources with version names in bold have been updated since the previous RxNorm release:
|Gold Standard Drug Database||GS||GS_2020_05_14|
|Multum MediSource Lexicon||MMSL||MMSL_2020_05_01|
|Micromedex RED BOOK||MMX||MMX_2020_05_11|
|FDA Structured Product Labels||MTHSPL||MTHSPL_2020_05_21|
|FDB MedKnowledge (formerly NDDF Plus)||NDDF||NDDF_2020_05_13|
|RxNorm normalized names and codes||RXNORM||RXNORM_20AA_200601F|
|Veterans Health Administration National Drug File||VANDF||VANDF_2020_04_30|
The following sources have not been updated since the previous RxNorm release:
|Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical Classification System||ATC||ATC_2020|
|Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)||MSH||MSH2020_2020_01_15|
|CMS Formulary Reference File||MTHCMSFRF||MTHCMSFRF_2014|
|US Edition of SNOMED CT (drug information)||SNOMEDCT_US||SNOMEDCT_US_2020_01_31|
|USP Compendial Nomenclature||USP||USP_2020_02_06|
*Reminder: As of October 2017, Medi-Span data will not be included in the RxNorm or UMLS releases. If you have questions about Medi-Span, please contact: email@example.com.
Investigational Drugs in RxNorm June 2020 Release and Use of "EUA" in Synonyms
In April 2020, RxNorm began including investigational drugs by adding the Semantic Clinical Drug (SCD): remdesivir 100 MG Injection. Two new investigational drug names have been included in the RxNorm June 2020 Release, the SCD: 20 ML remdesivir 5 MG/ML Injection and the Semantic Branded Drug (SBD): 100 ML propofol 20 MG/ML Injection [Propoven].
Also, the word "Investigational" was previously used in the Prescribable Name (PSN) and Synonym (SY) to indicate a drug's investigational status in the April and May RxNorm releases. Starting with the June 2020 release, "EUA" will replace "Investigational" in the PSNs and SYs for fully specified investigational drug names. Learn more about investigational drugs allowed under the FDA's Emergency Use Authorization (EUA).
The investigational drugs in RxNorm are:
- SCD: 20 ML remdesivir 5 MG/ML Injection
- RXCUI: 2367758
- PSN: remdesivir 100 MG per 20 mL Injection (EUA)
- SBD: 100 ML propofol 20 MG/ML Injection [Propoven]
- RXCUI: 2370236
- PSN: Propoven 2% in 100 mL Injection (EUA)
- SCD: remdesivir 100 MG Injection
- RXCUI: 2284960
- PSN: remdesivir 100 MG Injection (EUA)
For more information about RxNorm's policy change to include investigational drugs, see the following NLM Technical Bulletin: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/techbull/ma20/ma20_rx_norm_investigational_drugs.html
Continued Reduction in Active National Drug Codes (NDCs)
Approximately 2,300 NDCs will no longer be active in the RxNorm dataset based on information from the FDA Structured Product Labeling (MTHSPL) data source. The SUPPRESS value for these NDCs in the RXNSAT.RRF file will change from SUPPRESS = 'N' in the RxNorm May 2020 release to SUPPRESS = 'Y' in the June 2020 release.
Notice of Upcoming Data Changes
As a courtesy to users, this section provides advance notice of possible upcoming RxNorm data changes. More information about each change will be provided or repeated in the future. Please note that planned data changes and timelines may change if issues arise.
- MTHSPL National Health Related Item Code (NHRIC) values will be distinguished from National Drug Code (NDC) values in the RxNorm July 2020 Monthly Release
- Approximately 640 values will be impacted in the RXNSAT.RRF file
- Deleting UMLS Metathesaurus UMLSAUI and UMLSCUI in the RxNorm November 2020 Monthly Release
- The Unified Medical Language System (UMLS) atom unique identifier (AUI) and concept unique identifier (CUI) will no longer exist in RxNorm beginning with the November 2020 release. In other words, the UMLSAUI and UMLSCUI attributes will be deleted from the RxNorm terminology in the RXNSAT.RRF file. Users can obtain the UMLSAUI and UMLSCUI directly from the UMLS Metathesaurus if needed.
|Term Type or Attribute||Number|
|Active RXNORM MINs||3737|
|Active RXNORM INs||12667|
|Active RXNORM PINs||2979|
|Active RXNORM BNs||5567|
|Active RXNORM DFs||121|
|Obsolete RXNORM MINs||0|
|Obsolete RXNORM INs||0|
|Obsolete RXNORM PINs||0|
|Obsolete RXNORM BNs||6383|
|Obsolete RXNORM DFs||62|
|Distinct SAB=RXNORM NDCs||248499|
Last Reviewed: June 1, 2020