RxNorm Release Notes
October Release - 10/05/2020
This full release of RxNorm is consistent with the 2020AA UMLS Metathesaurus release. For additional information about RxNorm releases, including scripts for loading the RxNorm data into Oracle and MySQL databases, read the RxNorm Technical Documentation.
The following sources with version names in bold have been updated since the previous RxNorm release:
|Gold Standard Drug Database||GS||GS_2020_09_14|
|Multum MediSource Lexicon||MMSL||MMSL_2020_09_01|
|Micromedex RED BOOK||MMX||MMX_2020_09_14|
|CMS Formulary Reference File||MTHCMSFRF||MTHCMSFRF_2020|
|FDA Structured Product Labels||MTHSPL||MTHSPL_2020_09_25|
|FDB MedKnowledge (formerly NDDF Plus)||NDDF||NDDF_2020_09_16|
|RxNorm normalized names and codes||RXNORM||RXNORM_20AA_201005F|
|Veterans Health Administration National Drug File||VANDF||VANDF_2020_09_01|
The following sources have not been updated since the previous RxNorm release:
|Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical Classification System||ATC||ATC_2020|
|Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)||MSH||MSH2020_2020_01_15|
|US Edition of SNOMED CT (drug information)||SNOMEDCT_US||SNOMEDCT_US_2020_07_31|
|USP Compendial Nomenclature||USP||USP_2020_02_06|
*Reminder: As of October 2017, Medi-Span data will not be included in the RxNorm or UMLS releases. If you have questions about Medi-Span, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remdesivir NDCs Reassigned from Generic to Branded Drug Names
Since April 2020, the National Drug Codes (NDCs) 61958290101 and 61958290201 have been associated with generic remdesivir-related Semantic Clinical Drug (SCD) names. Beginning with the October 2020 release, the NDCs will be associated with the brand name Veklury in new Semantic Branded Drug (SBD) names.
Below is a summary of the remdesivir NDC changes in RxNorm.
NDC 61958290101 is moving:
- From the SCD remdesivir 100 MG Injection (RXCUI 2284960)
- To the SBD remdesivir 100 MG Injection [Veklury] (RXCUI 2395502)
NDC 61958290201 is moving:
- From the SCD 20 ML remdesivir 5 MG/ML Injection (RXCUI 2367758)
- To the SBD 20 ML remdesivir 5 MG/ML Injection [Veklury] (RXCUI 2395504)
Regiocit Added to RxNorm for Emergency Use
Regiocit, a drug allowed under the U.S. Food & Drug Administration Emergency Use Authorization (EUA), became available in the RxNorm September 30, 2020 weekly releases on the RxNorm Files page. The name is also included in the RxNorm October 2020 Monthly releases.
Regiocit related names and codes included in RxNorm are:
- SCD: 5000 ML sodium chloride 5.03 MG/ML / sodium citrate 5.29 MG/ML Injection (RXCUI 2397251)
- SBD: 5000 ML sodium chloride 5.03 MG/ML / sodium citrate 5.29 MG/ML Injection [Regiocit] (RXCUI 2397257)
Below are links for additional information.
- Get more information about Regiocit: https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=6fa432f1-7cde-4840-80f0-1be19a76f318
- Get more information about FDA’s Emergency Use Authorization (EUA): https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/mcm-legal-regulatory-and-policy-framework/emergency-use-authorization
- Get more information about RxNorm’s policy change on investigational drugs from NLM: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/techbull/ma20/ma20_rx_norm_investigational_drugs.html
Notice of Upcoming RxNorm Data Changes
As a courtesy to users, this section provides advance notice of possible upcoming RxNorm data changes. More information about each change will be provided or repeated in the future. Please note that planned data changes and timelines may change if issues arise.
- REMINDER: Deleting UMLS Metathesaurus UMLSAUI & UMLSCUI in the RxNorm November 2020 Monthly Release
- The Unified Medical Language System (UMLS) atom unique identifier (AUI) and concept unique identifier (CUI) will not exist in RxNorm beginning with the November 2020 release. In other words, the UMLSAUI and UMLSCUI attributes will be deleted from the RxNorm terminology in the RXNSAT.RRF file. Users can obtain the UMLSAUI and UMLSCUI directly from the Metathesaurus if needed.
|Term Type or Attribute||Number|
|Active RXNORM MINs||3733|
|Active RXNORM INs||12969|
|Active RXNORM PINs||3040|
|Active RXNORM BNs||5144|
|Active RXNORM DFs||121|
|Obsolete RXNORM MINs||0|
|Obsolete RXNORM INs||0|
|Obsolete RXNORM PINs||0|
|Obsolete RXNORM BNs||6101|
|Obsolete RXNORM DFs||63|
|Distinct SAB=RXNORM NDCs||244376|
Last Reviewed: October 5, 2020