DOCLINE® Eligibility Guidelines
DOCLINE is the National Library of Medicine's (NLM) interlibrary loan (ILL) request routing system. It was developed to increase the speed and efficiency of biomedical ILL by linking the journal holdings of participant libraries and by routing the requests based on these holdings quickly throughout the Network of the National Library of Medicine (NNLM) and beyond.
The system is intended for reciprocal ILL among biomedical libraries in the United States and Canada. It supports resource sharing among participating libraries by enabling them to borrow from and lend to one another; it is not an article purchasing mechanism.
Libraries with a health sciences/biomedical literature collection and mission are eligible for DOCLINE. Libraries must have enough staff and journal holdings to fulfill DOCLINE library responsibilities.
If you are in the U.S. and want to discuss your library’s eligibility for DOCLINE participation, contact the NNLM DOCLINE Coordination Office (410-706-4173). Libraries in Canada should contact the NRC's National Science Library.
Currently libraries located outside of the U.S., Canada, and commercial document delivery vendors are not eligible for DOCLINE membership.
Libraries not eligible for DOCLINE that wish to request ILL from the National Library of Medicine should consult NLM's ILL home page for more information.
Once you have determined that your library is eligible to use DOCLINE:
- Use the Apply Now button on the DOCLINE home page, and supply information about your library.
- The DOCLINE Coordinator will confirm eligibility and work with you to establish a basic DOCLINE Library Profile and set up DOCLINE user account(s) for your institution.
- Each individual user must have a Google account (or other account type) to sign into the system.
Libraries must begin actively lending and borrowing within three (3) months of account setup.
To do so, participants must:
- Complete their Library Profile
- Establish Borrowing preferences, including Routing Tables
- Configure Lending Options, including schedule and service offerings
- Create at least ten (10) DOCLINE Journal holdings records
Once established, libraries must fulfill DOCLINE library responsibilities to maintain eligibility.
Last Reviewed: August 18, 2020