Objects of Art: Colonel Frank Bradway Rogers, M.D.
Location: Main Reading Room, Building 38
Portrait of Colonel Frank Bradway Rogers, M.D.
Director of the Library from 1949 to 1963
Artist: Frederick C. Truckness
Commissioned for the library by the Gillmore Bequest
Through Dr. Rogers' leadership the Library was accorded statutory authority under the Public Health Service as the National Library of Medicine (1956), and a mechanized system for producing the Index Medicus® introduced data-processing machinery to the Library. In addition, the Medical Literature Analysis and Retrieval System - MEDLARS® - went from initial conception to operation (1964), and the library moved into its new location in Bethesda (1962).