Cataloging and Metadata Management
Classification and Shelflisting
- The National Library of Medicine Classification is published online. The NLM Classification has been updated as of January 2018. See NLM Classification 2018 Winter Edition Now Available NLM Tech Bull. 2018 Jan-Feb;(420):e3.
For a brief explanatory discussion, follow this link to the National Library of Medicine Classification. For geographic notation, see the following section:
--Table G Practices
--Table G (geographic notation)
Outline of Schedules: see online NLM Classification.
Downloading the NLM Classification
The National Library of Medicine Classification is available for download in PDF and HTML formats.
Note: The National Library of Medicine Classification is no longer available as a print publication.
- NLM Policy on Subject Analysis and Classification html | pdf
- Accession number shelving of printed monographs
See NLM Technical Bulletin, Jan/Feb 1994 (pages 19-20).
- Accession Number Shelving of Non-Print Materials
See NLM Technical Bulletin 2004 Nov-Dec;(341):e5.
- Shelflisting Procedures for Monographs and Classed Serials
- Shelflisting Procedures and Policies for W1, W2, and WX 2 serials