Unified Medical Language System® (UMLS®)
Many different types of biomedical vocabularies are included in the Metathesaurus. There are many different ways to categorize them. Some vocabularies fall into more than one category. Major categories include:
- Logical Observation Identifier Names and Codes (LOINC)
- Procedures & Supplies
- Current Procedural Terminology (CPT)
- International Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD-10)
- Comprehensive Vocabularies/Thesauri
- Systematized Nomenclature of Medicine-Clinical Terms (SNOMED CT)
Other categories are anatomy, drugs, genetics, nursing and miscellaneous.
This graph shows the percentage of different vocabulary categories represented in the Metathesaurus.
Last Reviewed: September 1, 2016